Ultralight!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultralight!

So I've always been into aviation. Been working on and off for about a year to get my Private Pilot's certification but had to stop at the beginning of the year. Decided I wanted to pick up an Ultralight so I could fly on my own when I wanted and for the most part where I wanted with some restrictions. Not to mention it lets you fly without the constant oversight and permission of "Big Brother".

Anyone here fly ultralights?

Picked up the Hy-Tec Hurricane over the weekend. Here's some vids and pics.

Video compilation of the first day I had it doing familiarization flights on a dry lake bed (El Mirage Dry Lake).

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTvoycq-dI[/ame]

After first few landings

About 1500 feet AGL looking down on the landing area. You can barely make out the truck and another ultralight on the lake bed.

On the truck ready to come back to San Diego

After getting the wings back on and putting it in it's new hangar

The day after getting the wings on a buddy of mine and I went up and he got some arieal video of me. It was a flight with a member of the SDUA to get familiar with the area around the field. Saw a few dual sports on some dirt roads around otay lakes road.
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Then a little video from last night doing a late evening sunset flight.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGGiSygPgs[/ame]
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

based on that shit eating grin i'd say you had a good time!!!!!!

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Awesome, Josh!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        based on that shit eating grin i'd say you had a good time!!!!!!

god bless.
        Still got that grin haha
        2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

That looks like fun
          2003 oxford white cobra whipple powered corn fed
          2018 F150 RCSB 5.0

Comment

That's cool as hell
            2014 GT
            2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Pretty sure I wouldn't trust that thing more than ten feet off the ground, but it does look like fun lol.
              How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

got my money on Farm Truck and AZN
                THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

IIRC ultralights tend to be safer than some GA aircraft due to low speeds and mass. This thing weighs somewhere around 250 to 300 lbs lbs. A Cessna 150/152 that I trained in weighs over 1000 lbs.

This does make flying in rough air "fun" but overall doable.

This specific airframe is also pretty strong. They tested them to 9Gs positive and 6Gs negative and rate them to be used at 6Gs positive and 4 negative in normal use. That's a lot of Gs when you're talking about a regular Utility GA aircraft is only rated for normal use at +4 and -2 Gs.

Edit-Also forgot to mention this has a BRS (Ballistic Recovery System) mounted on it. Things get to sideways or I have some kind of massive failure I pull the magic red handle and a big parachute fires out of the back of the aircraft with a rocket and deploys. Then I have a relatively safe ride back to the ground. Airplane would probably be totaled then though.

Fast Forward to about 2:10 to see a BRS demo.
                  [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgfG2DfPB6I[/ame]
                  Last edited by Downs; 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM.
                  2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Rad! I was out at Lake Whitney a year or two ago and some guy was flying around slowly in what looked like a dune buggy with an airboat type fan on the back and a big wide parachute. Looked fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                      Rad! I was out at Lake Whitney a year or two ago and some guy was flying around slowly in what looked like a dune buggy with an airboat type fan on the back and a big wide parachute. Looked fun.
                      Those are called powered parachutes. Can't get much lower and slower than that. I think those make around 30 MPH max.

I flew into Lake Whitney a few times in a Cessna 150 as part of my short field training. Very short runway. If I ever get this bird back to Texas I want to fly it down there.
                      2004 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I fucking love those! There is a gentleman that stunts his nearly every morning out here at the Gainesville airport.

Come land in our field!
                        Originally posted by Buzzo
                        Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

There is one that flies around my house...
                          First thing I think of when I hear Ultralight -

Comment

I know you say it when you fly. So say it with me. "Tower this is Ghost Rider, requesting a flyby"
                            Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Did you take your AR up there and make like the Red fuckin Baron? lol

just bustin your chops. Looks like a fucking good time to me.
                              Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                              X