Dfwautogurus...accord v. VW Tdi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dfwautogurus...accord v. VW Tdi

Looking for a high mpg daily. Looked at the 2013 Accord LX-S (which has some cool standard features). Then went to look at the 2013 Passat and Jetta TDI. Never driven a TDI (or any VW for that matter) and was pretty impressed.

Accord LX-S is about 24k
    Jetta TDI is the same 24k
    Passat is about 27k

Anyone ever owned both a Honda and a TDI (obviously not 2013's)? But how did they compare over the life of the car?

In on this. Been *kinda* looking at used TDIs lately.
    How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

2013 Jetta are 72 months no interest and the Passats are 60 months no interest. Plus a few thousand off sticker.

LX-S Mpg shows like 26/35
      Jetta and Passat are like 32/40

Comment

We started out looking at used but low mileage. Looked at a 12 Accord with 15k miles for $18k. Then looked at a 13 Accord. That ruined me. Drives much better, lot quiter, standard rear view camera, dual climate control. It was pretty darn nice for a "base car". Then decided if we went that route we would spend another 1700 for the Sport. Adds fog lights, rear lip spoiler, nicer 18" wheels.... And a couple other features.

TDI's seemed to have a better fit/finish interior but they also seemed to have more "plastic feel"? They are all nice but just wondering how the TDI owners like the cars after 3,4 or 5 years????!

Comment

Okay, I'm a Honda fan. I recommend looking at the Honda Accord Sport.

It is smack dab between an LX and EX and is a great value for the cost difference of an LX.

There are some interior upgrades that I like, wheels/tires are different (felt to me like better handling, but with a SLIGHTLY rougher ride due to lower profile tires) and a few other things....

Here is a quick run down....

The sedan-only Accord Sport starts at $24,180 with shipping. It adds five new items to the Accord LX: a rear spoiler, 18-in alloy wheels, fog lights, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and a 10-way power driver's seat. It comes standard with a 6-speed manual, while CVT-equipped automatic models offer a sport mode with steering wheel shift paddles.
          Although, they are right - the gloss over the interior - leather type upgrades. Not the seats, but some more padding and it overall looks sharp inside.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I had a 2010 Accord EX-L and hated it. The Honda dealers/service suck, too.

I now own a Passat (not TDI) and I truly do love my car. My brother owns a 2012 Jetta and I like it....pondered buying it from him since he's pondering selling. I've driven a 2013 Passat a lot the past few months...well, 4 different ones as rentals. I really like the car a lot and I'd buy one in a heartbeat. The customer service at Hiley VW in Arlington is hands down the best I've dealt with. Autobahn......eh. They're better than most by a long shot, but I like Hiley. I will say the Passat gets better MPG than the Jetta in my experience.

Comment

With the TDI's, better mpg with manual vs auto?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                With the TDI's, better mpg with manual vs auto?
                Manual, the gearing is taller, atleast at freeway speeds. The DSG is an awesome gearbox, it seems like a lot of the teething problems have been eliminated now, but you have to 40k miles services that are a bit pricey. Also take the EPA rating with a grain of salt, real world mpg seems to be quite a bit better with the TDI

Comment

Tdi will have a better resale value

Comment

I have almost 300k on my TDI. John had almost 600k on his TDI ( sold his for 3500)

How many Hondas reach those numbers
                    1969 GTO Judge Clone 6.0 liter LQ4 Turbo 4L60e on LS1tech

1960 Chevy Sedan Delivery LS swap

Comment

Originally posted by 2165 Turbo Rail View Post
                      I have almost 300k on my TDI. John had almost 600k on his TDI ( sold his for 3500)

How many Hondas reach those numbers
                      Originally posted by MR EDD
                      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

I have 3 VW TDIs. A 2001 with 300k, a 2003 with 220k and a new 2013 with 6k. You cant beat the resale value.

I got the 2013 TDI premium package with navigation and auto transmission in toffey color. It stickered at $28,500. They came down to 23,500 and gave me 10,000 for my jeep liberty. So 13500 + TTL.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Which VW dealership is good to deal with? I am interested in getting a TDI Jetta/Golf this weekend also.

Thanks

Comment

Aren't those things super expensive when its "repair time"?
                            "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Aren't those things super expensive when its "repair time"?
                              Not terrible. My timing belt kit, labor, plugs and an oil change ran me about $750. That was also me just doing maintenance as it wasn't out or anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X