A follow up poll.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A follow up poll.

DOHCTR's thread has me wondering what our demographics are like. I'll make a simple yes/no poll. The poll is not public, so if you are of either side and don't want the world to know, nobody but you will.
    Yay
    0%
    Nay
    0%

Where's the not sure option?
    Originally posted by talisman
    I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
    Originally posted by AdamLX
    If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
    Because fuck you, that's why
    Originally posted by 80coupe
    nice dick, Idrivea4banger
    Originally posted by Rick Modena
    ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
    Originally posted by Jester
    Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
      Where's the not sure option?
      If you don't have an active belief, for example "I believe in a god/higher power" then your answer is no. If you don't know, then your answer is no.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
        If you don't have an active belief, for example "I believe in a god/higher power" then your answer is no. If you don't know, then your answer is no.
        couldnt that go both ways? I mean, nobody is "sure" there is a god.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
          couldnt that go both ways? I mean, nobody is "sure" there is a god.
          No. Carlos was asking where the "I'm not sure if I believe or not" answer is.

There is no such thing as agnosticism by itself, it is a modifier to belief. If you do not actively believe, then you don't believe. Does that make sense? Let me try to word that differently. If you can't say "I believe in a god/higher power" then your answer is no, regardless of what god or higher power you might be struggling with the existence of.

There are people on both sides who are sure of their position in the fact that god does/does not exist. But I'd argue that they're wrong.

Also, who the fuck moved my poll! I wanted to use the same sample as DOHCTR so that I could see something. Move this shit back!

Comment

I think Carlos brought up a very good "grey area" with his question. By your chart, 75% of the boxes are a yes by my interp; by yours 75% is a no. Similar to a reasonable doubt brings a not guilty verdict in court.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy
              Also, who the fuck moved my poll! I wanted to use the same sample as DOHCTR so that I could see something. Move this shit back!
              This.
              Moving it here defeats the purpose of the thread. You might as well just delete it

Comment

I think Carlos brought up a very good "grey area" with his question. By your chart, 75% of the boxes are a yes by my interp; by yours 75% is a no. Similar to a reasonable doubt brings a not guilty verdict in court.
                50% is yes and 50% is no. Atheism is a lack of a belief in a god/god(s) (I don't know if I believe falls into this realm), theism is a belief in a god/god(s). Agnostic and Gnostic are just claims to knowledge. I am an agnostic atheist, does that mean I believe in a higher power?

I'm not sure how to break it down simpler, let me think on it or get my buddy Jeff in here. He's far better at explaining shit than I am.

Comment

couldnt that go both ways?
                  With the actual question being asked, no.

Originally posted by Baron
                  I mean, nobody is "sure" there is a god.
                  Actually, you can find a great many people who will say that they know that a god/gods do/do not exist. However, what I don't really feel that racrguy explained properly is that knowledge is a subset of belief.

You either believe something is true, or you do not. Not believing something is true does not mean you believe the opposite. So, unless you actively believe that a god/gods exist, then your answer is 'Nay'.

Going on what I was saying before, I don't feel like racrguy explained this thoroughly. By definition, t's not a 75% one way or the other. His chart is a 50/50 split.

If you believe that a god/gods exist, then you are a theist. If you believe but do not claim to know, or claim to not know, you are an agnostic theist. If you believe and claim to know that a god/gods exist, then you are a gnostic theist. Any of the above would be in the 'Yay' category.

If you do not believe that a god/gods exist, then you are an atheist. If you do not believe but do not claim to know, or claim not to know, then you are an agnostic atheist. If you do not believe and claim to know that a god/gods do not exist, then you are a gnostic atheist. All of these would be in the 'Nay' category.

His poll is a question is about what you believe, not what you know. If you are not sure, then you do not believe. Using your own analogy, if you are not sure if someone is guilty, you should put in a vote of 'Not Guilty', not 'Innocent'. By stating that you do not know if a god/gods exist, you are not claiming that you believe that a god/gods does not exist, only that you do not believe that it/they does.
                  Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

Yes, Carlos is going to be mad at everyone for calling him Carlos.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddhattter View Post
                      With the actual question being asked, no.

Actually, you can find a great many people who will say that they know that a god/gods do/do not exist. However, what I don't really feel that racrguy explained properly is that knowledge is a subset of belief.

You either believe something is true, or you do not. Not believing something is true does not mean you believe the opposite. So, unless you actively believe that a god/gods exist, then your answer is 'Nay'.

Going on what I was saying before, I don't feel like racrguy explained this thoroughly. By definition, t's not a 75% one way or the other. His chart is a 50/50 split.

If you believe that a god/gods exist, then you are a theist. If you believe but do not claim to know, or claim to not know, you are an agnostic theist. If you believe and claim to know that a god/gods exist, then you are a gnostic theist. Any of the above would be in the 'Yay' category.

If you do not believe that a god/gods exist, then you are an atheist. If you do not believe but do not claim to know, or claim not to know, then you are an agnostic atheist. If you do not believe and claim to know that a god/gods do not exist, then you are a gnostic atheist. All of these would be in the 'Nay' category.

His poll is a question is about what you believe, not what you know. If you are not sure, then you do not believe. Using your own analogy, if you are not sure if someone is guilty, you should put in a vote of 'Not Guilty', not 'Innocent'. By stating that you do not know if a god/gods exist, you are not claiming that you believe that a god/gods does not exist, only that you do not believe that it/they does.
                      You cant claim "not sure" as a no, by definition. In order to be unsure, you have to belive that a god/gods/higher power might exist.

Comment

You cant claim "not sure" as a no, by definition. In order to be unsure, you have to belive that a god/gods/higher power might exist.
                        I believe that a god/gods/higher power might possibly exist, as it hasn't been proven not to. Does that mean I should have chosen yes as my answer instead of no?

Carlos is unsure if he believes, that is explicitly a "no" answer, because he doesn't believe one to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          I believe that a god/gods/higher power might possibly exist, as it hasn't been proven not to. Does that mean I should have chosen yes as my answer instead of no?
                          well, yes. IMO, unless you are 100% sure of no existance, then in your poll, yes would have to be the answer.

Perhaps you should pray about it.

Comment

You can "not sure" as a no because it is, by definition. When it comes to a claim, such as having a belief in a god/gods as it is in this case, there are only two dichotomous options. Someone having a belief is either true or untrue. Unsure, unknown, impossible to know, paradoxical and anything else that isn't 'True' falls under the 'Untrue' category. Claiming that you do not believe in a god/gods/higher power does not mean you are ruling out the possiblity, nor does it mean that you believe that they do not exist.

You can believe that a god/gods/higher power might exist without believing that they do. In fact, the category of agnostic atheist falls under this. Agnostic atheists do not believe in a god/gods. However, since they are not claiming that they know that a god/gods exist, they are tacitly admitting that a god/gods might exist.
                            Scientists do not coddle ideas. They crash test them. They run them into a brick wall at 60 miles per hour and then examine the pieces.

If the idea is sound, the pieces will be that of the wall.

Comment

well, yes. IMO, unless you are 100% sure of no existance, then in your poll, yes would have to be the answer.
                              But I don't believe a god to exist. How does that work? All I've done is left the possibility for one to exist. I am correctly classified as an agnostic atheist.
                              Perhaps you should pray about it.
                              Tried that, didn't work.

Comment

Working...
                              X