Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever looked at this theory on oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever looked at this theory on oil?

Discovery backs theory oil not 'fossil fuel'

A study published in Science Magazine today presents new evidence supporting the abiotic theory for the origin of oil, which asserts oil is a natural product the Earth generates constantly rather than a “fossil fuel” derived from decaying ancient forests and dead dinosaurs.

Giora Proskurowski of the School of Oceanography at the University of Washington in Seattle ? says the hydrogen-rich fluids venting at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in the Lost City Hydrothermal Field were produced by the abiotic synthesis of hydrocarbons in the mantle of the earth.

The abiotic theory of the origin of oil directly challenges the conventional scientific theory that hydrocarbons are organic in nature, created by the deterioration of biological material deposited millions of years ago in sedimentary rock and converted to hydrocarbons under intense heat and pressure.

While organic theorists have posited that the material required to produce hydrocarbons in sedimentary rock came from dinosaurs and ancient forests, more recent argument have suggested living organisms as small as plankton may have been the origin.

The abiotic theory argues, in contrast, that hydrocarbons are naturally produced on a continual basis throughout the solar system, including within the mantle of the earth. The advocates believe the oil seeps up through bedrock cracks to deposit in sedimentary rock. Traditional petro-geologists, they say, have confused the rock as the originator rather than the depository of the hydrocarbons

I'm willing to buy off on the idea that Hydrocarbons are produced by some naturally occurring action within our planet. That isn't to say that they are "unlimited" just that we are unlikely to run out anytime soon and that Earth may be a lifeless rock before we ever run out.

IIRC there have been oil fields that were thought to be almost "empty" that have "refilled" over time.
    2004 Suzuki DL650
    1996 Hy-Tek Hurricane 103

Comment

Does Frost have a twin?
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
        Does Frost have a twin?
        Only moar loonier.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I am a exploration geologist and my job is to locate recoverable hydrocarbons.

Granted a lot of the "origion" science is all educated thoughts and opinions, there are several ways to prove decomposition creates and trapping mechanizes happen soon there after. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0hczFNDZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM0hczFNDZI[/ame] Everyone has there own opinion though. "Source rock" is the new main stream theory thanks to all of these shale plays. All the hydrocarbons above the shale in the stratigraphic sequence have migrated from below.

I believe neither from my professional experience. I think everything is just as thought and independently deposited and trapped.

Comment

Working...
          X