Beers Implicated in Emergency Room Visits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beers Implicated in Emergency Room Visits

Nationwide, roughly a third of all visits to emergency rooms for injuries are alcohol related. Now a new study suggests that certain beverages may be more likely to be involved than others.

The study, carried out over the course of a year at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, found that five beer brands were consumed most often by people who ended up in the emergency room. They were Budweiser, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, Bud Ice and Bud Light.

Three of the brands are malt liquors, which typically contain more alcohol than regular beer. Four malt liquors accounted for nearly half of the beer consumption by emergency room patients, even though they account for less than 3 percent of beer consumption in the general population.

Previous studies have found that alcohol frequently plays a role in emergency room admissions, especially those stemming from car accidents, falls, homicides and drownings, said the lead author of the study, David H. Jernigan of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. The new study, published in the journal Substance Use and Misuse, is the first to look at whether certain brands or types of liquor are overrepresented.

Dr. Jernigan said that the breakdown of liquor consumption in the study may be particular to Baltimore, and that he and his colleagues are hoping to study other cities as well. The findings could have policy implications, potentially influencing labeling requirements and marketing for higher-alcohol beers, Dr. Jernigan said.

A study found that five beer brands were consumed most often by people who ended up in the emergency room.
    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Steel Reserve...........
    '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
    '13 Dodge Cummins
    '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Originally posted by white88 View Post
      Steel Reserve...........
      Squeeze lime juice in a shitty beer and it really masks the shitty taste, FWIW.

Comment

I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins

Comment

Hold my beer and watch this!
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
            ...and Sloan Kettering.
            2012 GT/CS & 93 Cobra
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CWO View Post
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Good old bud ice. I used to buy a 6er for around 4 bucks when I was a pipeline surveyor. I would call my future wife after consuming 5 or 6 and act a fool. I can't believe she still married me. Those were the days.😆

Comment

Duh - Look at where the survey was conducted. Of course these were the popular brands.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                    Duh - Look at where the survey was conducted. Of course these were the popular brands.

That's racist!

Comment

No - That's Baltimore.

Comment

And the other 2/3 of visits is drug seekers and illegals....

Comment

Ballast Point's Dorado is responsible for my headache this morning.

Comment

Working...
                          X