Oxford Diner Owner Says Veteran, Service Dog Not Welcome In Restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxford Diner Owner Says Veteran, Service Dog Not Welcome In Restaurant

OXFORD (CBS) — James Glaser survived 21 years in the Air Force and 2 tours in Iraq.

Today, he says he can’t get through the simplest tasks without the support of his loving therapy and service dog, Jack.

“When I start having night sweats and tremors and nightmares, he’ll actually jump on top of me and wake me up.”

Update Protest Planned At Oxford Diner That Refused Veteran, Service Dog

But when Glaser brought Jack to Big I’s Diner in Oxford, co-owner Russell Ireland says he felt the dog was too close to the kitchen, so he told Glaser to leave.

“He told me to ‘get that effin’ fake service dog out of here.’”

Glaser says he showed the dog’s certification papers, but that didn’t help.

“I walked out and called the cops.” Now he’s filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice.

Ireland says he was stressed out, and snapped, in part, because he was having a bad day.

“I want to apologize to any veterans that I might have offended,” he says.

At the same time though, he says Glaser and Jack are still not welcome in his diner.

“This is a post-traumatic stress dog to give him emotional support. How much emotional support do you need when you’re eating breakfast?”

Glaser is organizing a protest and urging the public to boycott the diner.

“As far as I’m concerned, I don’t want him to get a single cent from anybody in this United States.”

He made it through two tours in Iraq but James Glaser says today, he can't get through the simplest of tasks without his furry friend -- therapy and service dog Jack.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Too bad this will probably drive the anti-war hippies into the place.

Comment

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone."

Cry me a fucking river. This shouldn't be news. Is it shitty? Perhaps. I tend to agree with the owner. Having dogs around is a food safety issue.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post

Cry me a fucking river. This shouldn't be news. Is it shitty? Perhaps. I tend to agree with the owner. Having dogs around is a food safety issue.
        Luckily I haven't had to deal with any dogs at our place. We do have a group of 20 or so Purple Heart recipients that meet each month. None have service dogs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
        2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

One of my old roomies has one...and I will probably be moving back in with him when he gets out here in a month. I dont really see the point of this emotional support service dog thing. I had another marine roommate that actually had some pretty bad PTSD. Seems a little reefer was all it took to calm him down. This PTSD shit is "boot camp headaches and shin splints 2.0." The people who bitch about it, sure are taking quite a bit away from the people who actually suffer from it.

Comment

Fucking Frost has nothing better to do...

Cry me a fucking river. He doesnt want a dog in his restaurant, he can make that decision. A PTSD dog? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

Cry me a fucking river. He doesnt want a dog in his restaurant, he can make that decision. A PTSD dog? Really?
              This times eleventy billion.
              Originally posted by lincolnboy
              After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                No shit. This is America for crying out loud.

Comment

Just because the words veteran and PTSD appear do not give someone carte blanche to do whatever they please.

Comment

Thread backfire. Like a PTSD dog passing gas!

Comment

I'd much rather eat with a veteran and his service dog than I would a bunch of filthy hippies.
                      and if you've never experienced the absolute hell of PTSD you don't have a clue. It's an anxiety attack on steroids and crack.

Oh, and since this IS America, we have a law called the Americans With Disabilities Act. Even a worthless POS military veteran is covered by it. I hope Mr. Glasser sues and gets rich off that prick restaurant owner.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

Actually, I never put up my view on it. On one hand, I support the owner's right to refuse service to anyone he likes. On the other, he is violating the ADA which is bad illegal. His statement of "How much emotional support do you need when you’re eating breakfast?" is idiotic.

For those with severe PTSD, going out is very traumatic. Going out to a restaurant with people there? That takes quite a bit. You have people sitting nearby who may want to harm you, you have people outside who may want to harm you. At any point someone could shoot at you because you're not in your safe place. These things actually cross your mind. A dog makes you feel better because he's your battle buddy. That's someone who will take a bullet to protect you without thought to themselves, something you can't find in the civilian world. That's also the reason that when I got back, I never went to any place that didn't have a drive through. My dog was always with me.

While I tend to go with the owner, the way he went about it, wrong answer. I support him and his right to decide who he wants to serve but I also know the ADA very well and was actually at it's re-signing. The view of this boils down to: Do you believe the federal government has the authority to tell someone whom they must serve? Do you believe in federal power or individualism?
                        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                          For those with severe PTSD, going out is very traumatic. Going out to a restaurant with people there? That takes quite a bit. You have people sitting nearby who may want to harm you, you have people outside who may want to harm you. At any point someone could shoot at you because you're not in your safe place. These things actually cross your mind. A dog makes you feel better because he's your battle buddy.
                          If you have issues with going out to restaurants, don't go out to restaurants.
                          "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Who fuckin' cares.

Comment

Owner is a dick, but within his rights. I sure as hell wouldn't eat there and I'm sure he is going to take a business hit for his douchebaggery.

Comment

Working...
                              X