Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File for a lost title vs mechanics lein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File for a lost title vs mechanics lein?

Im talking to a guy about buying a jeep without a motor and he doesnt have the title. He said the guy he bought it from could get the title but he thinks the titles gone. Iv thought about having the vin ran to see who the owner is and contacting them directly but if that doesnt pan out is it better to file for a lost title or file a mechanics lein? Im wondering what the process is on both of them and what the cost difference would be?

Wouldn't the lost title go to the person the vehicle is titled to?
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
      I think he means bonded title.

Comment

It's not a mechanic's lien. It's a bonded title. PM Stng5Pnt8, aka Tony Dominguez. He can walk you through the process.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          sounds like a bonded title is the way to go. I wasnt sure. Iv never had to file a mechanics lein or a lost/bonded title

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            It's not a mechanic's lien. It's a bonded title. PM Stng5Pnt8, aka Tony Dominguez. He can walk you through the process.
            I wasnt sure if I should file a mechanics lein to make sure I get the title. Im concerned that I'll buy the jeep then try to get a title and the original owner will decided he suddenly wants it back and Im out the money. But I guess thats a risk anyone takes when buying something without a title

Comment

The bonded title is the easier way to go. Another member and myself are jumping the same hoops so he can take an abandoned BMW off my lot. No way to contact the previous owner and it takes months to get the mechanics lien plus you have to jump through hoops. You have to send the PO a 3 month certified letter, then one at two months, then one at one month and then to notify you are now going to put the lien on there and that's a whole new headache because you have to give the DMV another 31 days to try and locate the previous owner.

File for a bonded title, if its uncontested then its quick and cheaper.
              Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                The bonded title is the easier way to go. Another member and myself are jumping the same hoops so he can take an abandoned BMW off my lot. No way to contact the previous owner and it takes months to get the mechanics lien plus you have to jump through hoops. You have to send the PO a 3 month certified letter, then one at two months, then one at one month and then to notify you are now going to put the lien on there and that's a whole new headache because you have to give the DMV another 31 days to try and locate the previous owner.

File for a bonded title, if its uncontested then its quick and cheaper.
                So it's quicker then three years?
                Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Bonded= A scribing of the VIN, two written estimates from car lots (pictures work great), then off you go to Carrolton. Carrolton has you fill out some forms, and sign some paperwork before sending you on your way with a packet of stuff. Take said packet of stuff to bonding agent and get bond. In my case my insurance company took care of me. The bond is ten percent of the written estimates. Mine was 750.00 so I paid 75.00. Then off you go to your local DMV and hand them your pile of paperwork and bond. Do the normal paperwork and they hand you your tags, plates etc. and in 10 days or so you get a brown title in the mail. Works just like a normal title and if you sale it transfers like normal. In three years they hand you a nice blue copy if no one has ever made a claim on the car. The bond and receipts are your protection against someone coming forward to claim the car. I did a 65 Mustang this way with no issues. Been a few years so I may have missed something.

On the other hand I bought VW from my friend that had a lost title from yearssssss ago. I found the registered owner, she had sold it like 20 years prior. She made me a copy of her DL and gave me a power of attorney for just the title paperwork. I paid the two dollars, mailed in the form, and put my return address on it. Got the title in the mail a few weeks later, took it to her and had her sign it, and bam title was in my name. She just wanted it out of her name.
                  Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Originally posted by kingjason View Post
                    So it's quicker then three years?
                    Good judgment comes from bad decisions and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Bonded= A scribing of the VIN, two written estimates from car lots (pictures work great), then off you go to Carrolton. Carrolton has you fill out some forms, and sign some paperwork before sending you on your way with a packet of stuff. Take said packet of stuff to bonding agent and get bond. In my case my insurance company took care of me. The bond is ten percent of the written estimates. Mine was 750.00 so I paid 75.00. Then off you go to your local DMV and hand them your pile of paperwork and bond. Do the normal paperwork and they hand you your tags, plates etc. and in 10 days or so you get a brown title in the mail. Works just like a normal title and if you sale it transfers like normal. In three years they hand you a nice blue copy if no one has ever made a claim on the car. The bond and receipts are your protection against someone coming forward to claim the car. I did a 65 Mustang this way with no issues. Been a few years so I may have missed something.

On the other hand I bought VW from my friend that had a lost title from yearssssss ago. I found the registered owner, she had sold it like 20 years prior. She made me a copy of her DL and gave me a power of attorney for just the title paperwork. I paid the two dollars, mailed in the form, and put my return address on it. Got the title in the mail a few weeks later, took it to her and had her sign it, and bam title was in my name. She just wanted it out of her name.
                      I dunno, the other person is doing the hoop jumping. Just going off what he says for the bonded vs what I discovered when doing a lien on it. If it was worth more than $200 I would do the lien but it would eat up way more than $200 of my time.

I am about to use it for target practice........ just remembered I have a friend that hates BMWs with a passion and said if he ever won the lotto he would buy a new M6, place it on his front lawn and proceed to beat the shit out of it. Bet he would pay a few bucks to smash a 318 instead.

Comment

Originally posted by LaserSVT View Post
                        I have been dabbling in cars well before you ever got behind the wheel of your first.
                        Whos your Daddy?

Comment

I have been dabbling in cars well before you ever got behind the wheel of your first.
                          Well then I guess I should bake you some cookies. I posted that before you posted your second part which explained the confusion on my part. Didn't know that about the title. That's why when I buy cars I only buy them with a clear title. Anything else and I walk away, don't care how good the deal is. I don't know the ins and outs of securing them and don't care to know.
                          I was just trying to share what I have learned over the last week while working on making this BMW go away.

No go take your Metamucil ya old fart!
                          ^*he says in a jokingly manner*

Comment

Bonded title, it's very simple.
                            Originally posted by Buzzo
                            Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X