Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll see your and raise you

Comment

Just came back from Kauai and it was far better than Maui or the Big Island. If you land in Oahu and if you've never paid your respects at the Arizona, it's a pretty much a requirement for any American that heads out that way.

The big island has cool volcanic stuff on it, and it snows in the middle of summer at the summit.

Maui has Haleakalā which is awesome to be at when the sun comes up in the morning (bring a heavy jacket or snuggle w/hot chocolate in a blanket). Also you can "bike" down it which is just coasting 99% of the way.

Kauai is VERY outdoorsy. Tunnels beach does rule, the coral sucks as most landlubbers can't keep their feet off the coral. Good place to do beginner/shallow dives as there isn't much current. The hike to the waterfall is a BRUTAL. 8 miles of literal rock climbing once you get into it.

By far Kauai is the best because you can visit the "grand canyon" of the pacific. You can hike the rim (you can do it with a sleeping infant) and the view is breathtaking.
      As far as your flights, look for flights out of Phoenix. If you can get a decent fare from there, look to the demons called Spirit Airlines to get you to Phoenix for dirt cheap. It will be miserable, but it will be cheap.

Right now US Airways is going from PHX to HNL and back for $677 per person.
      Last edited by IHaveAMustang; 08-22-2013, 03:15 PM.

Comment

If you go to Maui check out Trilogy for any diving or snorkeling. We did their Molokini trip and it was a blast. Ditch the kids one night and go to dinner at Mama's Fish House. You need train driver cash but it was excellent. Take a day and drive the road to Hana. Lahaina has some cool historical stuff and shops to wander around.

Comment

Hawaii just isn't a place I'd think to vacation at with a bunch of young kids. It's expensive as all fuck, it's a huge PITA to travel to, and it just doesn't seem like you'd be able to enjoy it as much as you should. I'd wait until they're in their teens at least, and find something a little less elaborate in the lower 48, like maybe Lake Tahoe, or a National Park.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            Hawaii just isn't a place I'd think to vacation at with a bunch of young kids. It's expensive as all fuck, it's a huge PITA to travel to, and it just doesn't seem like you'd be able to enjoy it as much as you should. I'd wait until they're in their teens at least, and find something a little less elaborate in the lower 48, like maybe Lake Tahoe, or a National Park.
            Destin Beach. There is a state park that is hardly crowded, its only like $5 - $7 per CAR to get in...beautiful warm water and you can drive to it (unlike Hawaii)

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
              Kuai is supposed to be the prettiest.

Main island for Pearl Harbor.
              not quite
              2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by GhostTX View Post
                Then you'll have people griping how disgusting breast feeding in public is...
                That's about the time you pop off with, "Oh, I'm sorry feeding my child is offensive to you...I'll just let him scream, if you prefer..."

Comment

Agree with most of the above. You will have a good time on any of the islands. We've been to them all. I would recommend Kauai or Maui. St Regis on Kauai or Four Seasons on Maui. Amazing.

Comment

Oahu will probably be the best with the kids at the age they're at. It has a little bit of everything, and wont be just sitting at a beach for them. Diamond head is a cool hike for kids that age, and you can carry the 8 month old. The north shore is enough "movie Hawaii" for you two. Snorkeling at Hanauma bay isnt bad (I would take a tour bus there instead of driving). Pearl Harbor will occupy you for a day. The Pacific Aviation museum has a bunch of cool old planes. There has been a large rash of shark attacks this year..I believe the majority on Maui and Big Island, so I wouldnt be trying to learn to surf there.

Comment

Vegas all the way!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X