Florida man, mistaken for a robber, shot in his driveway by police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida man, mistaken for a robber, shot in his driveway by police

FTP alert.. I figured I would go ahead and post it since I know someone will..

MIAMI (Reuters) - A Florida man who was shot by police in his own driveway on suspicion of being a robber says he felt like he was in front of a "firing squad" after being subjected to a volley of more than a dozen bullets.

Roy Middleton, a 60-year-old retired Coca-Cola Co worker, told the Pensacola News Journal in an interview from his hospital bed that he was shot in the leg and was lucky to escape without more bullet wounds.

Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan told a news conference in Pensacola on Monday that the shooting by two deputies was "a tragedy," but he said the officers followed proper procedure after Middleton failed to comply with police commands to step out of his car parked in the driveway and put up his hands.

Middleton said he had been searching for a cigarette in his mother's car at about 2:30 a.m. on Saturday when the deputies arrived. Middleton said he was backing out of the car with his hands raised when they opened fire.

"It was like a firing squad," he told the News Journal. "Bullets were flying everywhere."

The two deputies were responding to a 911 emergency call from a neighbor who suspected that a man was trying to steal a car in Middleton's driveway.

Morgan said the deputies told Middleton to show his hands and get out of the car. Middleton stuck one hand out of the car window and then withdrew it, the sheriff said.

When Middleton stepped out of the car he made "a lunging motion ... spun towards the officers" and had a metallic object in his hand, Morgan said.

"At that point the officers, fearing for their safety, fired upon Mr. Middleton," the sheriff added.

Morgan said two objects were collected by police and turned over as evidence to investigators. Middleton's mother told the News Journal he was holding a key chain with a small flashlight attached.

The two deputies have been placed on paid administrative leave pending the outcome of a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation.

(Reporting by David Adams; Editing by Eric Beech)

more than a dozen bullets and he gets hit once in the leg?

damn! Either he dodged those bullets "Matrix" style or those cops can't shoot worth a shit.

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post

damn! Either he dodged those bullets "Matrix" style or those cops can't shoot worth a shit.
      No shit... Cracks me up when Captain Thundercunt talks about the rigorous shooting qualifying they have to do. Clearly, it isn't tough enough.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

heh, blessing in this case for the homeowner.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

"Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan told a news conference in Pensacola on Monday that the shooting by two deputies was "a tragedy," but he said the officers followed proper procedure after Middleton failed to comply with police commands to step out of his car parked in the driveway and put up his hands."

Than, maybe they need to rethink their "procedure" if they are suppose to open fire on someone simply because he didn't do exactly what they say. What if someone is deaf, distracted, confused or incapacitated somehow? Does that give them a right to kill you and possibly others? That is so fucked up.

Oh, and those cops can't shoot for shit.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
            No shit... Cracks me up when Captain Thundercunt talks about the rigorous shooting qualifying they have to do. Clearly, it isn't tough enough.
            Sgt. Crybaby is going to make you regret that just as soon as he retires!
            Originally posted by racrguy
            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
            Originally posted by racrguy
            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
              "Escambia County Sheriff David Morgan told a news conference in Pensacola on Monday that the shooting by two deputies was "a tragedy," but he said the officers followed proper procedure after Middleton failed to comply with police commands to step out of his car parked in the driveway and put up his hands."

Than, maybe they need to rethink their "procedure" if they are suppose to open fire on someone simply because he didn't do exactly what they say. What if someone is deaf, distracted, confused or incapacitated somehow? Does that give them a right to kill you and possibly others? That is so fucked up.

Oh, and those cops can't shoot for shit.
              What if? Well, you get shot. Lethally or not is to be determined.

It's not funny really...
              Originally posted by MR EDD
              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

It's pitiful too, watch any episode of COPS! and see those motherfuckers freak out and give hilariously confusing instructions. I can't count the number of times i've watched them throw someone to the ground and get a few knees/elbows in while screaming "dont resist!!" to the person who is obviously not resisting and had just been told to walk backwards towards the cop while another screams for them to get on the ground.. It seems like they just throw out the entire sequence at once, then proceed to the physical element. How do 2 officers put 12 rounds downrange in close proximity and manage to only hit him in the leg once? fucking dunces.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                  It's pitiful too, watch any episode of COPS! and see those motherfuckers freak out and give hilariously confusing instructions. I can't count the number of times i've watched them throw someone to the ground and get a few knees/elbows in while screaming "dont resist!!" to the person who is obviously not resisting and had just been told to walk backwards towards the cop while another screams for them to get on the ground.. It seems like they just throw out the entire sequence at once, then proceed to the physical element. How do 2 officers put 12 rounds downrange in close proximity and manage to only hit him in the leg once? fucking dunces.
                  It's not fair to judge, Kyle. You aren't man (or dumb) enough to step in their shoes!
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
                    Haha, I notice that shit A LOT on Cops. Multiple officers, all shouting conflicting commands simultaneously.

"Get on the ground!"

"Don't move!"

"Let me see your hands!"

I have often wondered WTH I would do in those situations. Which one are you supposed to listen to? Seems like some departments need to do a lot more training on one officer calling the plays.

And I always chuckle a bit when they already have the guy on the ground, and hands behind the back in the process of cuffing, and they are still shouting: "Give me your hands! Stop resisting!". I'm pretty sure they train officers to shout that stuff while apprehending someone.

Comment

Solid bullshit, it's so all the witness' can say they heard the officers shouting "don't resist, don't move, stop resisting" and can testify that the perp was indeed resisting.
                      Originally posted by Silverback
                      Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I can understand an adrenaline rush putting you off target, but damn! On a side-note, years ago my wife and I we're in some combat competitions, and we both consistently out-shot both police officers and sheriff's deputies.

Comment

Question not asked: Where did those misses go?
                          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Call me crazy but I see it as a justifiable shooting. If you have police with guns drawn telling you to do something and you don't do it to the letter............you just might get shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                              Call me crazy but I see it as a justifiable shooting. If you have police with guns drawn telling you to do something and you don't do it to the letter............you just might get shot.
                              Unless you have cops giving conflicting orders, then what?
                              I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Working...
                              X