Talk to me about canoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about canoes

Looking to get into a good quality canoe, but don't know much about them. Did some online research, seems the good one come from Old Town, but like I said, I'm clueless.

Looking for something with a high weight capacity (the wife and I aren't small by any means...we bottom out easily. Is what it is) And extremely stable. She likes to fidgit around and rock the boat, and I have issues with falling out into water I don't know. Canoe weight is a non-issue, so is motor-mounting abilities. Strength and durability is also important. Don't want something that'll warp on us like the ones we've rented before.

We will mainly be using it around the Beaver's Bend State Park/ Lower Mountain Fork River area.

Did a quick dfwm search, seems some of you guys know your canoes (looking at you, Robert), so all info is appreciated.
    Last edited by asphaltjunkie; 08-21-2013, 11:36 PM.
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

And price isn't really an issue as long as the quality and features I'm looking for are there.
    "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Buy one from Snatch Napkin. He carries some nice ones.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SricpmKQd3U[/ame]

Comment

I'm more of a kayak guy myself but I would check out Old Town or Mad River Canoes.

You really don't have to worry about weight because even your smallest canoes will hold 700+ pounds. As far as stability goes, the wider the better. Most of your canoes are a shallow V hull through most of the hull which means you don't have any chines for stability, so while they are stable, they don't have anything to counter balance like some kayaks do.

If you're going for longer trips on the water then I would suggest a longer boat, a longer boat will in turn give you more speed.
          Originally posted by Jester
          Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.
          He will spend the rest of the day wondering if he is gay.
          Originally posted by Denny
          What the fuck ever, you fucking fragile faggot.
          FORGTN SOLD1ER - xbox gamer

Comment

I'm more asking than telling - but isn't an advantage to a canoe that you could mount a small motor to it if desired? I know you could probably get a trolling motor on a yak, but canoes are more rigid?
            Originally posted by MR EDD
            U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Originally posted by ceyko View Post
              I'm more asking than telling - but isn't an advantage to a canoe that you could mount a small motor to it if desired? I know you could probably get a trolling motor on a yak, but canoes are more rigid?
              Biggest advantage is higher payload capacity for the most part. You can find canoes that'll hold over 1000lbs, but yes, you can mount a smaller motor to them that's bigger than a trolling motor. Mounting trolling motors on kayaks are pretty common these days. Canoes aren't necessarily more rigid, just depends on the type of yak they're being compared to.
              Every time you see the fucking guy....show him your fucking dick.. Just whip out your hawg and wiggle it in his direction, put it away, call him a fuckin meatgazer, shoot him the bird and go inside.

Comment

Good info. Thanks.

I know I'd probably go bigger - especially if fishing. Reading all the cool gadgets for yaks I'd have them all on there. Hell, I put a lot on my boat and am putting even more on my pontoon.

Hell, now that I think about it. I see a 1001 accessories for boats and kayaks - but nothing specifically for canoes. I also like kayaks due to their plastic - seems like it would be resilient. (sp?)
                Originally posted by MR EDD
                U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Kayaks have definitely come a LONG way the past 10 years or so and they're being built with lighter and stronger materials. I'm planning on picking up 2 more yaks within the next couple years, one setup specifically for fishing with a trolling motor and fish finder on it and then a touring yak for longer day trips. The accessories available for yaks are endless.

Comment

Originally posted by asphaltjunkie View Post
                    And extremely stable. She likes to fidgit around and rock the boat, and I have issues with falling out into water I don't know.

Look up canoe/kayak outriggers.

Comment

I have a old town canoe that I picked up for $150 on craigslist. I wanted a kayak because I do alot of fishing and I knew my wife wouldn't go all the time but she insisted on a canoe. I am actually glad we got it because when I take it fishing by myself and I use a kayak paddle with it, plus I can load more gear. It is more of a pain loading and launching it but is worth the extra effort. As for stability its a canoe always wobbly but I have been in the drink only one time but that was at Benbrook with white caps and heavy winds(shouldn't of been out there). For more stability outriggers are the way to go and you could build them easily with stuff from home depot. My wife and I are taking it to Eagle Mountain this weekend for a paddling meetup that we are hosting.

Comment

My dad used to have a wide bottomed aluminum canoe that was actually pretty damn stable..

Comment

Just an FYI Robert is in Vegas at the moment and his wifi capabilities suck right now so he may be a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by kdventura73 View Post
                            I have a old town canoe that I picked up for $150 on craigslist. I wanted a kayak because I do alot of fishing and I knew my wife wouldn't go all the time but she insisted on a canoe. I am actually glad we got it because when I take it fishing by myself and I use a kayak paddle with it, plus I can load more gear. It is more of a pain loading and launching it but is worth the extra effort. As for stability its a canoe always wobbly but I have been in the drink only one time but that was at Benbrook with white caps and heavy winds(shouldn't of been out there). For more stability outriggers are the way to go and you could build them easily with stuff from home depot. My wife and I are taking it to Eagle Mountain this weekend for a paddling meetup that we are hosting.
                            have
                            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                              have
                              seent

Comment

Working...
                              X