Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops passing out doritos at Hempfest

The world it is a-changin'.

SEATTLE (AP) — A few things will be different at this year's Hempfest, the 22-year-old summer "protestival" on Seattle's waterfront where tens of thousands of revelers gather to use dope openly, listen to music and gaze at the Olympic Mountains in the distance.

The haze of pot smoke might smell a little more like victory, after Washington and Colorado became the first states to legalize marijuana use by adults over 21. Having won at the state level, speakers will concentrate on the reform of federal marijuana laws.

Oh, and the Seattle police — who have long turned a lenient eye on Hempfest tokers — don't plan to be writing tickets or making arrests. They'll be busy handing out Doritos.

"I think it's going to be a lot of fun," said Sgt. Sean Whitcomb, department spokesman and junk-food-dispenser-in-chief. "It's meant to be ironic. The idea of police passing out Doritos at a festival that celebrates pot, we're sure, is going to generate some buzz."

The idea isn't just to satisfy some munchies. The department has affixed labels to 1,000 bags of Doritos urging people to check out a question-and-answer post on its website, titled "Marijwhatnow? A Guide to Legal Marijuana Use In Seattle." It explains some of the nuances of Washington's law: that adults can possess up to an ounce but can't sell it or give it away, that driving under the influence of pot is illegal, and that — festivals aside — public use is illegal.

Organizers are expecting as many as 85,000 people each day of the three-day event, which begins Friday and is the first Hempfest since voters passed Initiative 502 last fall.

The vote legalized possession of marijuana and set up a system of state-licensed marijuana growers, processors and stores to sell taxed and regulated weed. Officials are still writing rules for the new pot industry, with sales scheduled to begin next year.

Hempfest executive director Vivian McPeak said that despite the state-level legalization, work remains as long as pot is illegal under federal law. The event is free, but McPeak is asking attendees to contribute $10 to offset the $800,000 cost of Hempfest so it can continue next year.

"It's going to be the most interesting Hempfest we've ever had because it's going to be part victory celebration," McPeak said. "That said, we feel it's very important to remind everyone that as long as it's still a Schedule 1 drug under the Controlled Substances Act, it's not legal anywhere. The job's not done yet."

The event will feature 117 musical acts on six stages and more than 100 speakers, not to mention 400 vendors offering informational pamphlets, colorful glass bongs, food and art.

McPeak said that to encourage the responsible use of pot, Hempfest this year will be handing out cards with marijuana "gut checks" prepared by Roger Roffman, a University of Washington School of Social Work professor and marijuana dependence expert. The cards note that while marijuana is used safely by many people, it can cause short-term memory loss, affect your ability to drive and cause dependence.

"We hope people will take it more seriously coming from us than from a traditional messenger," McPeak said.

And although police won't be ticketing people for smoking in public, officers will be ensuring public safety and keeping a close eye out for intoxicated drivers leaving the event, Whitcomb said.

Brian Laoruangroch is hoping to use Hempfest to promote his fledgling business, Prohibition Brands, by rolling a joint of at least 2 pounds — an effort Hempfest's organizers have frowned upon as not compliant with Initiative 502. Prohibition Brands hopes to obtain a marijuana processing license under the state's new law.

"This is a big moment for me," he said. As a pot smoker, "You kind of get an image that's cast upon you in a negative way. For a lot of people, this is a you-don't-have-to-hide-in-the-shadows-any-more kind of thing. You can be out in the open."

Comment

Damn, I got a bag of doritos........sounds good right about now.
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Lol that's funny. Wonder if it'll be cool ranch or nacho flava?!

Comment

Weed is an interesting subject - the laws are changing, will change and at some point it will be legalized (sadly, instead of decriminalized) and to see the people throwing a fit and taking such a hard line on something that is so clearly coming down the pipe line is funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Weed is an interesting subject - the laws are changing, will change and at some point it will be legalized (sadly, instead of decriminalized) and to see the people throwing a fit and taking such a hard line on something that is so clearly coming down the pipe line is funny.
            I cant wait!
            May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
            Semper Fi

Comment

I really could give a shit less one way or the other....

Manage it like alcohol or any other substance and go on with life.

Comment

lmgdao

On a day where free Doritos and pot aficionados join forces, it's only obvious that people who might be suffering from the munchies would want to get their hands a little dirty with some orange-y goodness.

But when the salty, cheesy snacks are free? Forget about it.

The Seattle Police Department descended on the city's annual Hempfest, which celebrates marijuana culture, to put into action a plan dubbed "Operation Orange Fingers."

In a move to draw attention to marijuana usage rules and restrictions in the state, officers handed out free Doritos with stickers about pot laws stuck on the bags. Not only delicious, but educational, each bag displayed a sticker of do's and don'ts of I-502, Washington's ballot measure that legalized the possession of marijuana in November.

But Seattle police found themselves at a serious deficit soon after they started sharing their chip stash with the Hempfest crowd. They managed to dole out the entire stash of free Doritos in about 10 minutes, according to the department's Twitter account.

Still, they satisfied the needs of "pretty much everyone who showed up for the morning gate-opening," they tweeted.

So what do the cops consider the don'ts of an overwhelmingly popular pot law? The stickers instructed Washingtonians to remember to avoid driving while high, giving or selling weed to people under the age of 21, as well as forgoing pot use in public.

The do's? "Listen to the Dark Side of the Moon at a reasonable volume," the stickers said. For more information, Doritos-devourers could head to a website with more information on following state laws when smoking marijuana, or what it calls "marijuwhatnow literature."

"Distributing salty snacks at a festival celebrating hemp, I think, is deliberately ironic enough that people will accept them in good humor," Sgt. Sean Whitcomb told Seattle alt-weekly The Stranger. "We want to make sure people learn the rules and that they respect the vote."

Comment

Doritos? These cops have obviously never smoked pot as cheetos or funyons is where it's at.
                  How do we forget ourselves? How do we forget our minds?

Comment

LOL that's pretty funny and cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                      Doritos? These cops have obviously never smoked pot as cheetos or funyons is where it's at.
                      Baked jalapeño flavor..

Baked chips are best when baked.

320rwhp. 7.67 @ 90mph 1.7 60'

DD: 2004 GMC Sierra VHO 6.0 LQ9 324whp 350wtrq

Comment

Originally posted by 91CoupeMike View Post
                        Baked jalapeño flavor..

Baked chips are best when baked.
                        o.O uhhhhhh. dowhut?

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                          o.O uhhhhhh. dowhut?
                          May God give us strength and courage in the time of our darkest hours.
                          Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Geor! View Post
                            Sweet Jesus funyons were my kryptonite back in the day. Everyone else wanted pizza/cheetos/oreos/etc. but as long as I had my funyons, I was on cloud 9.

Comment

Goddamnit! Show's me to post when I'm thinkin' about worky stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X