Electrical lighting question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical lighting question..

Purchased some LED lights for a fountain on the patio and they came with bare wires.
    Not sure how to wire/power them. They are 12V 2W low power LED for pools (submersible). Have two wires coming out of them. They are 24LED lamps and have 5 Lamps to hook up. Also need to know how to make them change color. Need a controller? I'm sure I need a 12V power supply but not sure what amperage and if they all (5) need there own power supply?

Any help very much appreciated.

David

One is power, and one is ground.

Comment

Does it have a ballast built into it?

Comment

Remember the D stands for diode. If you hook it up backward it won't turn on.

Do your LEDs have 2 leads or 4? I'm assuming 4 (for an RGB LED) since you said they should change color - and if so do you have a controller also?

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Do your LEDs have 2 leads or 4?

damn jellyfish.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by samuel642000 View Post
            Does it have a ballast built into it?
            Originally posted by Strychnine View Post

Do your LEDs have 2 leads or 4? I'm assuming 4 (for an RGB LED) since you said they should change color - and if so do you have a controller also?

No ballast and no controller. Only two wires per light.
            When I purchased them, there wasn't sufficient data (pix etc...) to determine that they didn't come with power supply or controller. Would like to find a controller & power supply(s) local so I can have it operational by next weekend.

David

Comment

Two wires per light would be single color unless the controller is built inside the lamp housing and it is auto programmed and controlled with a momentary signal. Can you post some pics?

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                Two wires per light would be single color unless the controller is built inside the lamp housing and it is auto programmed and controlled with a momentary signal. Can you post some pics?
                Yup, 2-wire will be a single color.

To get multi (controllable color) you'll need the RGB (4-wire) and a controller (you can buy these complete and ready to go)

Comment

Amps=watts/voltage (fixed voltages)

You are gonna be drawing 0.83 amps at full load. A cheap 12V wall wart should do the job. Id find something rated for 1 amp. Switching is up to you, I can help you build a remote infrared switching controller. Adafruit.com sells the stuff you are looking for. I might have a power source laying around in the garage. I have some codes smashed together for digitally addressable LEDs if you really wanna take your project to the next level you would need different bulbs though.

Comment

Here is a copy paste of the technical info from the web site I purchased from.

The "Emmiting Color" comment led me to believe they would change color, but they definitely have only two wires.

Pic can be seen here:

Item Type:Underwater LightsBrand Name:fhailightingBody Material:Stainless SteelUsage:HolidayWarranty:2yearLight Source:LED BulbsWattage:2Application:Swimming PoolCertification:CCC,CE,RoHSVoltage:12VPower SourceCIs Bulbs Included:YesProtection Level:IP68Model Number:FH-SC082LED Quantity:24 PCSVoltage:12V or 24VDimensioniameter 82mm * H135mmLighting Source:5mm Low-power LEDPlace of Origin:Guangdong, China (Mainland)Waterproof Standard:IP68Emitting Color:R/Y/B/G/W/WW/RGB/ChangeableMaterial:Stainless steel

David

Comment

The color is optional under features. Hook up a 9v battery to test color

Comment

Hate to hear that. Def wanted color options.

Thanks will try a 9V and see what comes out.

David

Comment

Still might be two/three colors, some of them when you reverse the polarity it a different color. two/three emitters in one die. put a/c to it for the third color.
                          edit..Also 9volts might burn it up, most leds run on around 3 volts.
                          Last edited by sig239; 08-16-2013, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sig239 View Post
                            Also 9volts might burn it up, most leds run on around 3 volts.
                            See first post

Comment

Working...
                            X