No announcement yet.

STAAR test results: everyone gets a trophy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least from my HS 70 and below was failing, however if you were in extra curricular activities you could maintain eligibility with a 65 in pre AP or a 60 in AP. You still failed but you could play football preform at orchestra concerts etc. Some colleges allow D's(60-69) to be considered passing, but some require C's. If you transfer to a C= passing school from a D= passing school you will most likely have to retake that class.
    Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
      Oh come on...we all know those who can't do teach.

I do so love to be blamed when my students can't even be bothered to do their work. Then their parents can't be bothered to meet about it. Yet it is still all my fault somehow. Yay! School starts this month! Lol
      I had a student fail both the Math and Reading last year. When I asked him what he thought happened, he said, "oh I just forgot what I was taking until like the end." Yeah. He just forgot that if he didn't pass these two tests he would repeat 5th grade. And he was telling the truth. He passed the second time without any problems.

We are having meetings with parents this week to let them know if their child will move on to 6th grade. Not looking forward to those discussions. "No, your child didn't do any work all year long and then failed the STAAR 3 times when the passing grade was 52% and 54%, I'm sorry but your kid is not going to go to 6th grade! I tried contacting you all year, but you couldn't be bothered."

Comment

Originally posted by Kimmypie View Post
        Oh come on...we all know those who can't do teach.

I do so love to be blamed when my students can't even be bothered to do their work. Then their parents can't be bothered to meet about it. Yet it is still all my fault somehow. Yay! School starts this month! Lol
        The parents believe you are supposed to be the nanny. Neither their child, nor them, are accountable for bad grades or behavior.
        It takes some thick skin and patience to deal with a bunch of stubborn pricks all day. I know I wouldn't last one week trying to teach a single ungrateful kid, so thanks for stepping up
        Last edited by crapstang; 08-11-2013, 10:49 AM. Reason: you*
        Originally posted by Buzzo
        Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

I LOVE not being in the classroom anymore. Going to student's houses is a completely different experience. They want to learn, they try very hard and the parents are very involved (for the most part). It has made me love my job again and realize that not all parents are shitty.
          Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
          Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
          Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
          You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
            Should do it like they do in China. There's one major test they ever have to worry about, and that's the one at the end of high school to determine whether or not you even qualify to go to china. It's a three-day-long comprehensive test with material that covers everything you learned in the last twelve years, and if you don't score well enough, you go to trade school or go into the labor pool. If you score high you get to go to college. The test is so intense that they study for it the whole second half of their 12th year.
            Huh?

Originally posted by EW View Post
            If you can't pass those weak-ass tests, you're parents should have to come to night school with your dumb ass until you can. Lame.
            Lmao
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I didn't mean for it to sound like I don't love what I do. I love my students - for the most part. It's those few every year that wear me out. Also, I don't really care if they pass the test or not. I care if they are learning to think for themselves.

Also, Lea...when are those old ladies you work with going to retire, so I can do what you do?? Lol
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                Huh?
                Sorry, that should have said, "...qualify to go to college."

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                  Lmao
                  Dang it!

Comment

Originally posted by DriveWayBuilt View Post
                    School is such Bull shit now, Me Neighbor's brother Failed the Math part of the STAAR test twice during the school year, Went to summer school, Failed it again and they pretty much told him "Oh well, You pass. You get to go to high school."

On another note My little brother was 1 of 15 kids that passed all of their STAAR test out of the whole school and they only got a "Congratulations" from their Teachers, lol
                    I took my littles ones to orientation last weekend. One of them is going into the 5th grade. She saw 2 of her classmates from last year that failed the STAAR tests. They are repeating the 4th grade. I am always pulling the "failure" card on mine when they don't look like they are putting the effort into their homework they should be or if they bring home a bad grade. I was actually kind of relieved that I had an example to show them that it will happen. Although, I do feel bad for the ones having to repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                      I took my littles ones to orientation last weekend. One of them is going into the 5th grade. She saw 2 of her classmates from last year that failed the STAAR tests. They are repeating the 4th grade. I am always pulling the "failure" card on mine when they don't look like they are putting the effort into their homework they should be or if they bring home a bad grade. I was actually kind of relieved that I had an example to show them that it will happen. Although, I do feel bad for the ones having to repeat.
                      We are having meetings this week with the students who took the test 3 times and still didn't pass. They still want their child to go to be 6th grade because they think "they will do fine" because they passed the class. "It was just this test and how can you fail a child that was passing all the subjects" Umm your child passed the class because we gave them a passing grade because we aren't allowed to fail anyone. We spoke to you at progress report time. How do you think your child's grades went from 40's to EXACTLY 70 in 3 weeks when they didn't do anything different!!!! Argh!

Comment

Working...
                      X