No announcement yet.

Bought a used car....warranty options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't know where you're at OP, but there's a decent BMW shop over here off of 377, about 3 miles north of 820, on the west side of the road. I believe the place is called Bavarian Motor Werks. A friend at work used them when he still had his 545 and swore by them, said they were tons cheaper than the dealer and had better techs.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
      The one that really opened my eyes was a warranty repair for the oil pump housing which developed a leak at the filter connection. But since i didn't have every single receipt for maintenance since 2004 ( was missing 2 oil change receipts) they refused to cover it.

Its a total scam, save your money and use it to fix it yourself.

(This was only on the truck as i had modded the mustang way out of warranty before it even got out of the factory coverage)
      You did it wrong. Write your attorney general a letter explaining the situation, their office will usually send a general inquiry into your claim and it'll almost always scare them into paying. If it's covered they have to prove how your negligence caused the failure, unless they are saving $5k or so by denying it then they are better off paying the claim. You don't have to actually sue anyone, just threaten to and have a legal entity send a letter. Most warranty companies don't actually have a legal team.

That being said if you can't afford to buy a new BMW/Jag/Audi/Benz then you definitely can't afford to buy a used one without some kind of warranty coverage. I mean unless you have $15k set aside for repairs if something major goes wrong.

Comment

no doubt it's a nice car but i dig the box style bmw m3's better. the new stuff just looks bulky and big just like the new mustangs

Last edited by scootro; 08-05-2013, 07:08 AM.

Comment

The fact an extended warranty costs $4500 should tell you something, lol. Get ready for that car to be a money pit, no matter how well maintained it is/was. I would not consider a non-CPO used premium brand vehicle. The maintenance and repair costs are just too high.

Originally posted by scootro View Post
          i dig the box style bmw m3's better. the new stuff just looks bulky and big just like the new mustangs

Dude, c'mon. These are easily some of the best-styled cars of the last decade.

When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicblueGT03 View Post
            Don't know where you're at OP, but there's a decent BMW shop over here off of 377, about 3 miles north of 820, on the west side of the road. I believe the place is called Bavarian Motor Werks. A friend at work used them when he still had his 545 and swore by them, said they were tons cheaper than the dealer and had better techs.
            Funny because bmw means exactly the name of the shop.

Do not get extended warranties. Also I just did an oil change on a diesel for £ 129.99 fuck it from now I will just change the oil myself regardless if I can't dispose of the oil.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
            First hand witness at the failure of public healthcare.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
              BMW and MB have the most expensive extended warranties ever, sounds like they were trying to make 1k on the warranty selling it to you though.

Setup a secondary emergency repair savings account for the car and deposit the 4500 into it if you can. Use it for repair work only.
              This is what I suggest to friends and family who ask about extended warranties. If you have some play in your budget and can afford the big repairs that may pop up IMO you are often better of just paying out of pocket. I'm not saying you will always come out ahead, but that is how I prefer to handle potential repairs. That being said, as many have already said BMWs are expensive to repair, and if you are living paycheck to paycheck it may be a good option.

My advice if you choose to buy, READ THE CONTRACT. I know you won't want to, but it will save you a lot of hassle. Know what the contract says is covered, not what the salesman tells you is covered.

You will have at least 30 days to cancel the contract with no penalty after you buy it, so read the whole thing as soon as you get it. If it isn't what was described or what you think it should be, call, write a letter, e-mail ect and get your money back. It is required by law.

Everything will not be covered, no matter how expensive of a contract you buy. That contract doesn't exist, and if it did, you wouldn't want to pay what it would cost. Find out what is excluded (not just parts, but what "conditions" are excluded (like lack of fluids, water damage, ect.)

Good luck man.
              "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
              -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

A co-worker of mine has one, and its a pimp car, but its been in the shop more than he's driven it. In fact, this morning I saw his harley parked out front and asked him what broke this time. Shredded the belt off for the third time in a month. BMW cant figure out why.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Working...
                X