No announcement yet.

Bought a used car....warranty options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a used car....warranty options?

This weekend I picked up a CLEAN 2007 335i with 24K miles on it. With that being said, I know the repair costs of a BMW. Now the dealership I got it from was a Toyota dealership and they were trying to charge me $4500 for a 3yr/36000 mile warranty. I thought that was a bit crazy. What kind of extended warranties are out there and have y'all ever bought one outside of a factory/dealer warranty?

take it back and get one with a clutch?

Comment

Bmw may be different, but i only bought extended warranties twice (once on the mustang and once on my FX4) - they were a huge waste of money. If something is broke, i want it fixed - but the way they worked was I had to have them "pre-clear" the work with the warranty company before I could have it fixed. Otherwise, Denied. And the parts that they cover sound like its full coverage but there are so many holes its swiss cheese.

The one that really opened my eyes was a warranty repair for the oil pump housing which developed a leak at the filter connection. But since i didn't have every single receipt for maintenance since 2004 ( was missing 2 oil change receipts) they refused to cover it.

Its a total scam, save your money and use it to fix it yourself.

(This was only on the truck as i had modded the mustang way out of warranty before it even got out of the factory coverage)

Comment

Should have gotten a CPO BMW. They have great warranties already attached.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
          Bmw may be different, but i only bought extended warranties twice (once on the mustang and once on my FX4) - they were a huge waste of money. If something is broke, i want it fixed - but the way they worked was I had to have them "pre-clear" the work with the warranty company before I could have it fixed. Otherwise, Denied. And the parts that they cover sound like its full coverage but there are so many holes its swiss cheese.

The one that really opened my eyes was a warranty repair for the oil pump housing which developed a leak at the filter connection. But since i didn't have every single receipt for maintenance since 2004 ( was missing 2 oil change receipts) they refused to cover it.

Its a total scam, save your money and use it to fix it yourself.

(This was only on the truck as i had modded the mustang way out of warranty before it even got out of the factory coverage)

Mothafuckin this ^^^

-k

Comment

From my experience, most extended warranties are worthless. I only buy CPO now.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Make sure you've had the required maintenance done, those n54's are a real bitch. Turbos, camshaft bearing ledges, vanos issues, fuel pumps, first year of the new engine and they have some expensive problems.
              Ded

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman85turbo View Post
                take it back and get one with a clutch?
                Yeah I thought about that. but the deal was too good to pass up...

Trip - A CPO was about 7 grand more (could be what i fork out in repairs over time)

Comment

Originally posted by gav91183 View Post
                  Yeah I thought about that. but the deal was too good to pass up...

Trip - A CPO was about 7 grand more (could be what i fork out in repairs over time)
                  Like Vader said above it would have been worth it, unless you get lucky. Those 1st year turbo models are fickle. My advice is find a good independent European mechanic. I know of a great one in Houston that I used when I had my 5, but I'm not sure of one up in N. Texas. I'm sure you can find one though. Fuck taking it to the stealership.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                    Like Vader said above it would have been worth it, unless you get lucky. Those 1st year turbo models are fickle. My advice is find a good independent European mechanic. I know of a great one in Houston that I used when I had my 5, but I'm not sure of one up in N. Texas. I'm sure you can find one though. Fuck taking it to the stealership.
                    My brother works for a guy who has his own shop and he used to be a BMW mechanic. Told me make sure I have deep pockets when I went to go look at a DINAN 550i, which wound up being crap.

Comment

Before I knew anything, I had to purchase a new battery for my used 545i, and I took it to the dealership. Big Mistake. It cost me 450 bucks. Supposedly they had to run a full electronic diagnostic on it anytime a battery was replaced so they could make sure it didn't have the "electrical gremlin" they are so famous for; SOP for BMW dealerships, "apparently." I then found a great Euro mechanic who did my future maintenance on the car. They also shuttled me to work. I believe the dealership labor for BMW is like 95 bucks an hour, and they round up on work and have minimums for certain jobs. It's retarded.

Comment

^ This! If you own a used, non CPO'd euro and go to the dealer for service, you might as well pick up a nice fat rock from naynay on the way home. I do a lot of service on a 335i as the owner was quoted a little over $500 for an oil change/once over at Moritz.
                        Ded

Comment

BMW and MB have the most expensive extended warranties ever, sounds like they were trying to make 1k on the warranty selling it to you though.

Setup a secondary emergency repair savings account for the car and deposit the 4500 into it if you can. Use it for repair work only.

Comment

If you can follow your bently, have access to some special tools and aren't lost looking under the hood, you can work on this car.
                            Ded

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                              ^ This! If you own a used, non CPO'd euro and go to the dealer for service, you might as well pick up a nice fat rock from naynay on the way home. I do a lot of service on a 335i as the owner was quoted a little over $500 for an oil change/once over at Moritz.
                              HOLY FUCK!! $500 for a f-ing oil change?!?!?! SHIT!!! screw that?! I mainly do those myself anyways!

Comment

Working...
                              X