Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone good with fences? want more privacy

Okay, have a question for you guys.

Last spring I did a lot of work in my backyard... added a new patio, pergula, hot tub, outdoor kitchen, etc. Here is the problem, my backyard is pretty small and also slopes down and the neighbor behind me is out in his yard alot as well. Older couple and they even hang their clothes out to dry. Its like they live outside!

Anyway, this older man just replaced nearly the entire fence in the backyard early this spring. Which is nice because I didnt do any work and didnt pay for anything, but I had planned to replace it this year myself and put up 8 foot instead of 6 foot to add privacy. But he beat me too it.

So a friend of mine suggested that I just buy the 8 foot slats and nail them up to my side of the fence. Basically like it would now be a 2 sided fence. I wouldnt replace the posts or the horizontal pieces, just add the 8 foot pieces.

So I went to HD and bought a couple and laid them up there, didnt nail them yet just to see what it would look like. And the extra 2 feet would be awesome, exactly what I wanted.

Here are my questions...

1. i havent talked to this old man about it, i dont think he would mind the extra privacy either, but im just curious if he doesnt like it, is there really anything he can do about it since we share the fence and its technically on my side of the fence?

2. will adding these pieces be too much weight or would the extra 2 feet thats above the top of the 6 footer, not being nailed to anything be secure enough to not be destroyed by high winds? I dont really want to have to add onto the posts and add another horizontal piece if i dont have to. and would just the weight of the pieces alone make the entire fence too heavy and fall? the posts are concreted in

3. anyone have hookup on 6 inch x 8 foot cedar pieces? Bought these few at HD for $3.68 a piece. I need about 120 or so of these for just the rear, but may consider doing the sides as well if i can get a good enough deal on these.

Comment

Sean88gt is the guy to pm.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

The weight should be fine. We do a lot of board on board cedar in my subdivision with no issues

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
        Originally posted by Leah
        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

It's not a hook up but better product for the money, Viking fence.

Comment

1. Talk to your neighbor and see what he says - although 8' generally says "I don't want to know you"

2. Weight is of no issue, just go through the pickets into the crossmembers and you'll be fine. If you are worried about sway, you can do a top rail to make it more sturdy.

3. You can check with fence supply companies, but they usually smell retail coming in. You might check with the 4" planks. More available and should be cheaper.

Comment

Man that would look like shit from your neighbors side. If I was your neighbor I'd say keep your hands off his property.

Just because it faces your property gives you no right to touch it - if its on his property its his.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                Man that would look like shit from your neighbors side. If I was your neighbor I'd say keep your hands off his property.

Just because it faces your property gives you no right to touch it - if its on his property its his.
                Shared property line.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  Shared property line.
                  I'll take your word for it - but it doesn't smell right. Sharing a property line doesnt seem like it infers any rights to something that he didnt pay for and isn't on his property.

Comment

Those posts are set on 8' centers, and are either landscaping timbers or 4x4s. Weight will become an issue in a few years, especially since posts for 6' tall pickets are generally set a foot less deeply in the ground. Lastly, on a 8' tall fence the posts should be on 6' centers. Consequently a good rain and any sustained winds are going to effect that fence in short order.

And, it is going to look horrible from his side.
                    www.allforoneroofing.com

Comment

Did the old man do the work or hire it out?

Comment

Am I seeing it right in the pic with the 8' boards that you have a 2nd neighbors fence as well? (The 8' boards looked leaned up on another fence line)

So if you put of 8' boards it'd only be on half the fance line?

Comment

i do have a second neighbor, and that second neighbor is not an issue. He is fine with it and really cool. They have a pool and are glad to have the extra privacy.

the other neighbor did do the labor himself. I just havent talked to him about it, i assumed the fence was "shared" and it was his decision to rush into doing it. I would have gladly split the cost and done an 8 foot from the beginning had he just talked to me.

i dont see why he wouldnt want extra privacy, but thats what im concerned with is that it would look back from his side. But at the same time, its probably better than him looking at us face to face everytime we are all outside??

Comment

im wondering if it would be better to put up new horizontal pieces and nail up my new 8 foot pieces to those. That way it looks like a clean flat fence. We would only be sharing the posts. And also if i didnt do it this way, id be nailing the pieces around the posts.... thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by 00bolt View Post
                              im wondering if it would be better to put up new horizontal pieces and nail up my new 8 foot pieces to those. That way it looks like a clean flat fence. We would only be sharing the posts. And also if i didnt do it this way, id be nailing the pieces around the posts.... thoughts?
                              This sounds more reasonable from an aesthetics point of view. It's not like he cares much about how it looks to you when he had the planks face his house anyways. That may be why he did it himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X