Anyone here had kids go to Afghanistan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here had kids go to Afghanistan

First off, having been in the Marine Corps I know this is part of the job and something I think every kid should do after high school. But when it's your child it's a little more difficult.

What kind of things are going on over there at the moment. He's a chaplains assistant so the chances of him being in some shit are pretty high since the chaplain is all over the place.

I'm not being a pussy here, just looking for some insight

Originally posted by soap
    i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Good luck and Godpeed to your son. Tell him thanks.

Comment

It's going to vary dramatically depending on what base he's at. OPSEC should prevent anyone that's actually over there form talking about it. The good news is that Iran is having internal problems with their recent election and trying to keep Assad in power. Most of the resources they could send to Afghanistan will be going to Syria instead for now.

Good luck and thanks for serving, both of you.

Comment

You can PM me and ask me what you would like to know. I will tell you what I can. Minus a 9mnth break in 2012, I have been here in Afghanistan since July 2006.
        Last edited by KBScobravert; 08-02-2013, 10:06 PM.
        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

^what unit are you in?

We've been getting slotted for different deployments and then have them pulled for the last few month. Our BC and battalion co supposedly have no idea what the hell is going on, but here the entire 3rd brigade is being dismembered.
          Detailing by Dylan
          817-494-3396
          Meticuloustx7@gmail.com
          Ask about the Pre-Spring special

Comment

He's a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
              He's a contractor.
              Verified by the ballin' gauges and wiring harness in his cobra.

Comment

When you hear a whisle overhead, run for the bunker.
                You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

My cousin's a chaplain and just got back from Afghanistan, OP. I can have him keep an eye out for your kid, if you like. He's attached to Marine units, but his next rotation is on a boat. The chaplains all seem to be pretty tight, and they seem to stay safe. The upshot to being a chaplain's assistant is, you don't go anywhere the chaplain doesn't go, and you still get to carry a gun.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Dlachance View Post
                    ^what unit are you in?

We've been getting slotted for different deployments and then have them pulled for the last few month. Our BC and battalion co supposedly have no idea what the hell is going on, but here the entire 3rd brigade is being dismembered.
                    see below

I see a lot of that in the bold out here with the big Army

We have not been at war for 12 years. We have been at war for a year, 12 times. That is, units don't continue mission statements over during hand offs. The only thing that stays constant here is the contractor. By the time a unit figures out what is going on and what needs to be done and what to STOP FUCKING CHANGING they are already ripping out. [/rant]

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    He's a dirty contractor.
                    Fixed and Fact

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                    haha, if I was truly ballin' my harnesses would be CAN-BUS. Or I just would have bought a damn Porsche in the first place.

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                    When you hear a whistle overhead, run for the bunker.
                    To hit on what Chris said.

He will be going to new sites all the time. Lots of traveling. Depending on the base size, the first thing I suggest is meeting the S2 and getting the latest intel and threat level for that specific site. Being he is responsible for the Chaplain's security that should not be seen as out of the norm. I am sure he already knows this.

Depending on the base size, know where the bunkers are at all times. I have been to camps that were so small and quiet that you could hear the first round leave the tube heading your way. That is a good time to hit the deck or get into a bunker or behind a concrete barrier or bastion. After a few days on a camp that gets hit a lot you without knowing plan your walks from one place to another around the time of day, and where you can walk under/behind cover and where if you walk you are exposed. The key is to have some sort of barrier between you and when a round lands. Even if it just plywood.

I have been to over 35 bases in theater and every single one is unique in every way imaginable. I would say that 75% of the camps I have been to, we have been hit while I was there. In my department amongst my piers I am sort of a shit magnet. Doesn't help that my first IDF experience was when I was on the crapper in a portajon and literally fell out the door with my pants around my ankles crawling for the fucking bunker.

Comment

Thanks kbcobra. He's in the army with the mountain division from Fort Drum. He's thinking they are leaving sometime in September. He just came home for a week and brought his truck home and we did power of attorney stuff which was kind of morbid.

I never deployed so I don't know what to tell him, desert storm was just kicking off when I got out in 91. I was stuck in Yuma for 4 years.

As far as the ducking thing, that may be a challenge at 6'5. Lol
                      Originally posted by soap
                      i can fix anything from a broken tractor to an aching pussy!!!

Comment

I would pull those time lines, unit name and home base out of post. Some may scream opsec and be a little right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                          Lol
                          Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                          It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Working...
                          X