Awkward conversation last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
    Alcoholism leads to cirrhosis which is the main cause of esophageal varices.
    see Brad. small penis syndrom

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      I think I'd rather die from a literal sword!
      Words hurt evidently!

Comment

Originally posted by ram57ta View Post
        Wow I guess I'm not doing too terrible then at 41. Do you have high blood pressure? 2 years ago due to a wisdom tooth infection I learned I had high blood pressure, but didn't realize just how bad it was until my sister and mother MADE me check myself into the Baylor ER while visiting my mother in rehab when her nurse checked my BP and with wide eyes told me my BP was 220/168 (explains the headaches I was having). I stopped smoking cold turkey, stopped energy drinks, stopped coffee, completely eliminated salt when possible, and was put on BP medicine. I was able to drop my BP by changing habits so much that my doctor had to take me off one of them becuase my BP was getting too low. Its now fairly normal.
        Whoa, you looked like a pretty healthy guy when I met you. That being said I do not have high blood pressure, but in runs in my family (my grandpa had it and my dad has it) and it is only a matter of time I imagine.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
          I am 24 now, but I was 19 then. The doctors said it was due to a lack of sleep, excessive adderall+energy drinks, and the stress of finals. I had just got back from a weekend of camping after school ended and woke up at my parent's house with an intense chest pain. Worst pain I have ever had in my life next to gasoline in my ear.

Had the telltale enzymes in my blood, an EKG that looked like a lie detector test on Obama, and a ton of docs and nurses swarming me. Was in the ICU for 3 days and the hospital for a week. Carried nitro pills for years after that but I recently had a stress test and a cardiac cath and they said I am good and there is no permanent cardiac scarring. Just goes to show you that it can happen to anyone.
          ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
            I am 24 now, but I was 19 then. The doctors said it was due to a lack of sleep, excessive energy drinks, and the stress of finals. I had just got back from a weekend of camping after school ended and woke up at my parent's house with an intense chest pain. Worst pain I have ever had in my life next to gasoline in my ear.

Had the telltale enzymes in my blood, an EKG that looked like a lie detector test on Obama, and a ton of docs and nurses swarming me. Was in the ICU for 3 days and the hospital for a week. Carried nitro pills for years after that but I recently had a stress test and a cardiac cath and they said I am good and there is no permanent cardiac scarring. Just goes to show you that it can happen to anyone.
            That ain't no lie, gas in the ear fuckin' sucks!
            '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
            '13 Dodge Cummins
            '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Originally posted by white88 View Post
              I was siphoning gasoline one time and when it rush out of the hose, it filled my throat, mouth and some must have gone into my lungs too. It was like my chest was paralyzed for over a minute and couldn't breath. I rushed into the house and started pouring water down my throat before I could breath again. What was funny is I had 3 people standing within 15 feet of me when it happened, but they had their backs turned, so they had no idea what had happened. It was definitely an "OH shit!" moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Probie View Post
                When I did my clinicals there were a few drug chasers that could sit there and name painkillers that "didn't work"
                Ha-ha - Yep. In my day it was usually Oxy and/or Darvocet that did the "trick".

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                It's caused by alcoholism?
                Yes, Cirrhosis.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                  Ha-ha - Yep. In my day it was usually Oxy and/or Darvocet that did the "trick".

Yes, Cirrhosis.
                  Thanks for clearing that up chief, the Dr. didn't convince me.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
                    Fuck demerol. I want dilaudid.
                    This
                    I'd go with fentanyl.
                    Or that. Twilight sedation is a straaaange ride.
                    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo View Post
                      ive seen one with whats called esophageal varicies which are basically ulcers in the esophagus that rupture and bleed. sometimes there are too many of them to stop. they are usually caused by alcohol abuse. alcoholism is a hell of a drug
                      I've had an Asian woman come in with this...she looked like something from the Exorcist rolling down the hall to the resusc bay. She had dark blood shooting from her mouth about 2ft (sitting up on gurney). When we laid her down to get control of her airway, the blood was filling her mouth so fast that two suction setups couldnt keep up with it...I got lucky and go the tube in blindly. We then put in a Sengstaken-Blakemore tube to stop the bleeding...but I think she still died in the OR.
                      damn, that's crazy! The things some people do to their body is absolutely nuts!

Comment

The story is simple.. Old with cancer. He was already a DNR and wanted to stop all care. He said he was tired and lived a good life.

Comment

Originally posted by white88 View Post
                          Originally posted by line-em-up View Post
                          I was siphoning gasoline one time and when it rush out of the hose, it filled my throat, mouth and some must have gone into my lungs too. It was like my chest was paralyzed for over a minute and couldn't breath. I rushed into the house and started pouring water down my throat before I could breath again. What was funny is I had 3 people standing within 15 feet of me when it happened, but they had their backs turned, so they had no idea what had happened. It was definitely an "OH shit!" moment.
                          Everyone laughs at me when I tell them gasoline in my ear was the worst pain I have ever had. Glad we have some solidarity here.
                          Originally posted by lincolnboy
                          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                            Thanks for clearing that up chief, the Dr. didn't convince me.
                            lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X