Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elderly woman drives through a loophole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elderly woman drives through a loophole...

An 83-year-old woman drives the wrong way onto a busy freeway.
    She hits a man on a motorcycle head-on, nearly killing him.
    Last week, a Parker County jury delivered a verdict of more than $5 million in a civil suit connected to this case.
    But Vernell Ingram still has her driver's license, which may indicate holes in Texas law.
    In a video deposition, Ingram testified the accident never happened.
    "Read my lips," she said. "I don't remember. I put it out of my mind. I've tried to keep some of this off of my mind."
    Photographs and witnesses convinced the jury otherwise.
    They decided she drove the wrong way down an off-ramp of Interstate 20 in 2010 and hit Jerry Wall, who was riding a motorcycle, head-on.
    Miraculously, he survived. But one leg had to be amputated below the knee; both femurs and his pelvis were fractured; and he suffered a broken arm and a punctured lung.
    Wall is not a vindictive man, but he wants Texas law changed because Ms. Ingram is still driving, despite have failed four driving tests.
    After her collision with Wall, she was ordered to take a driver's test. She failed four times, while still retaining her license.
    On her fifth try in three months, she passed. But even then, the examiner noted she had problems with awareness and braking skills.
    "In her case, she'd had multiple accidents before this devastating accident," said Wall's attorney Brad Kizzia, pointing out that she had had an accident the year she hit Wall, although no one was hurt that time.
    "The woman that hit me was able to take the test five times before she passed and received her license back, and is driving today in the same car that hit me," Wall said.
    "There may need to be some kind of a limit," Kizzia added. "Three strikes and you're out. If there were three strikes and if it were the law in Texas, she would not be driving right now."
    Ms. Ingram shows no signs of relinquishing her license, nor does she plan to pay her share of the $5 million verdict.
    She still denies that she hit Jerry Wall, even though repair records indicate her repair shop scraped off his flesh and blood from the front of her car.
    The Texas Department of Public Safety requires anyone between the ages of 79 and 84 to renew a license in person. That license expires in six years.
    If you are over 79, you must take a vision test during the renewal. A driving test is required only if it is suspected you may not be safely able to drive.
    The regulations change at age 85, when renewals must occur every two years.
    Twenty-one states have no additional rules for older drivers.
    E-mail bharris@wfaa.com

I agree with the comment posted about the need of a family member needing to step in and stop her from driving. Enough is enough as far as this goes. Stubborn stubborn stubborn...
    ./ ____ _ _\.
    (]]]_ o _[[[)
    \o_FORD_o/
    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

She'd still be driving, just without a license. Ask illegals how well that works
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I've been saying for years, they need to lower those ages to around 55yrs old and require a vision test & driving test!

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
        She'd still be driving, just without a license. Ask illegals how well that works
        my grandmother turned the wrong way on a one way street, was in a head on collision, and the doc recomended the state pull her DL. She bought another car and kept right on driving, and if anyone asked, she would say she had it still.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

old people are freaking stubborn. My wife's grandpa still drives and is getting to the point that he's forgetting where certain places are. It's kinda scary but the old dude is too stubborn to ask one if his grown-ass kids to take them places...not that they would. She's been doing it lately.

Comment

My old man is only 58 and just started driving again after his cancer treatments made him lose feeling in his feet for a while. Some people have common sense and are able to face their limitations, some don't.

Comment

"In a video deposition, Ingram testified the accident never happened.
              "Read my lips," she said. "I don't remember. I put it out of my mind. I've tried to keep some of this off of my mind."
              Photographs and witnesses convinced the jury otherwise...."

Must be a democrat. She has senator potential!

Comment

What an old bitch.

Comment

Lets just hope she's in a single car accident that takes her life and solves the whole thing right then and there.

Comment

Soak here dentures in arsenic, she's lived long enough.
                    Ded

Comment

Originally posted by VaderTT View Post
                      Soak here dentures in arsenic, she's lived long enough.
                      So you've read into obamacare?
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The family members of the elderly need to be more proactive. How many people brush off grandma or grandpas inability to drive?

Tee hee, grannie had another fender bender... oh well, at least I don't have to drive her around. She goes slow, whats the worst that could happen? Its not like she'd accidentally floor it and push a parked car through a daycare and smash a bunch of kids.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3678055.html

Comment

My dad is 92 and has to take a vision test every year to keep his license current. I sold his vehicle 3 years ago and make sure every other car is somehow complicated to operate so even if he decided to try and drive he probably wouldn't be able to.

Comment

Holy fuck bp how old are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                              Holy fuck bp how old are you?
                              I think he gets his AARP card next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X