Anyone have an english bullmastiff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have an english bullmastiff?

Wife & I are thinking of getting an English mastiff probably sometime next year, not sure really what to expect.

My wife currently has a Chihuahua which is about 9 years old. We have 3 kids (12 year old, 11 year old & 5 year old) and are expecting a baby around January or so, so we are thinking of seeing first how everything works out with the new baby... then at that point getting a puppy. People have told me that bullmastiffs are wonderful with children from what they have heard, but I would like some insight on someone who has actually owned one or currently has one.
    Last edited by Stng5Pnt8; 07-31-2013, 10:15 AM.
    Allstate Insurance
    Dominguez Agency
    1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
    Arlington, TX. 76018
    817-405-2011
    tdominguez@allstate.com
    Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

I had one a number of years ago. Thor was about 195-205 lbs and was the biggest damn baby. Think of them as a big 2yr old and you'll be fine. They are truly gentle giants but need a firm and consistent hand or they will just use their size to push the issue.

If it can fit in their mouth they'll chew it - so gotta keep tables and counters relatively clear.

Oh, and if you have a smallish backyard - you need daily poop patrol.

Comment

3 words.. Human sized turds.

Comment

English Mastiff, or Bullmastiff. A bullmastiff was bred from english mastiff and english bulldogs.

Ive had a couple of mastiffs, one 5 year old brindle now. He's super gentle around my two kiddos (1 and almost 3 yo) as was my Boxer/Mastiff mix, though he had more brains.

They are really cool dogs, very laid back and lazy, but NOT until they are two-three years old. They are somewhat clumsy, dont know how big they are or how strong they can be. Im not sure that I would be attempting a puppy while you have a little one on the floor, might wait a few years.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

As Baron said.. English Mastiff or Bull mastiff..two separate breeds.

I have 2 English Mastiffs (they are the bigger of the two breeds). The male is a 220lbs and female 150lbs. Both are amazing dogs. Super gentle (the female tries to be a lap dog). Just be prepared, big dogs = big vet bills when they get sick. Antibiotics for my dog can be $200 whereas a Chihuahua can be $20. They have some issues like all big dogs (hip and knees). I wouldnt hesitate to get another. In fact, we will help with the rescue when our two pass on.

Koda:

Mika:

So this is a slightly skewed angle shot but the little cousins height and Koda's height is the same

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            3 words.. Human sized turds.
            No shit!

Comment

My sister has 3 bull mastiffs. The female is a little food aggressive but other than that they are great dogs. The female is roughly 140lbs and the 2 males are probably 175 and 2-210. The big ones head is just rediculously big
              07 f250-family truckster
              08 Denali -baby hauler
              52 f1-rust bucket
              05 Jeep tj. Buggy
              livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Thread hijack: I'd kinda like to get Duke laid before we chop his nuts off, if anyone is intersted in breeding thier female EM.
                "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My parents used to have one. It was a cool dog I guess. No personality but enjoyed company. It moved very slow.

Comment

Never had a bull mastiff, but have an English mastiff. They are absolutely great dogs.

When they are puppies until about 2 years old they are clumsy and don't realize how big they are.

You can't just leave them outside while you're gone when it's real hot because they get hot real easily, so teaching them not to chew stuff etc. is important. We always have a toy for her to chew on and never have a problem. Chew toys that are advertised to last for days, last 30 mins - an hour of determined.

It is ok for the dog to eat any human food but chocolate and grapes. No matter what we're eating we will scrape it into her bowl once we're done.

They are very protective, especially of your kids and wife. We will always take the mastiff for a walk and when we stop the dog will always place herself between us and the other people we stop to talk to. Always. She will bark at them sometimes as well. A couple of times her hair has stood up on her back when a bigger (usually fat) person comes around.
                    2014 GT
                    2013 FX2 ecoboost

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Five-O View Post
                      Never had a bull mastiff, but have an English mastiff. They are absolutely great dogs.

When they are puppies until about 2 years old they are clumsy and don't realize how big they are.

You can't just leave them outside while you're gone when it's real hot because they get hot real easily, so teaching them not to chew stuff etc. is important. We always have a toy for her to chew on and never have a problem. Chew toys that are advertised to last for days, last 30 mins - an hour of determined.

It is ok for the dog to eat any human food but chocolate and grapes. No matter what we're eating we will scrape it into her bowl once we're done.

They are very protective, especially of your kids and wife. We will always take the mastiff for a walk and when we stop the dog will always place herself between us and the other people we stop to talk to. Always. She will bark at them sometimes as well. A couple of times her hair has stood up on her back when a bigger (usually fat) person comes around.
                      My husky was protective like that. She would start to howl at certain people. I took as her canine 6th sense for trouble and would normally untuck my pistol handle and rest my hand on it.
                      07 f250-family truckster
                      08 Denali -baby hauler
                      52 f1-rust bucket
                      05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                      livin the double-wide dream

Comment

English mastiff is what we are looking into...seems like they are good dogs by the responses here. I guess the main thing is like Baron said, about having a puppy while having a little one on the floor. We have ample space @ the house for a big dog, the biggest thing that scared me was...

1. having a baby/kids around such a big dog
                        2. as Chili stated... big ol' surprises lol...
                        Allstate Insurance
                        Dominguez Agency
                        1101 E. Bardin Rd. suite 141
                        Arlington, TX. 76018
                        817-405-2011
                        tdominguez@allstate.com
                        Give us a call so we can take a look at your insurance needs, we may be able to save you $$!!

Comment

My brother in law has a male and a female, great dogs for sure. great with their daughter and great for protection. but they tear everything up. he had to put a metal fence up because they would eat the wooden fence apart. but all in all i would own one for sure.

Comment

I love the dogs but our two labs are enough of a pita due to their size. And they're only 60 and 80 pounds or so. I could not imagine a 200lb mastiff. Maybe if we had a larger house and acreage or a farm or something and they never had to leave it.

Comment

I want one freaking bad lol. Have to wait till I can get a place that will fit one
                              Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                              It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Working...
                              X