Bank forecloses on wrong house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bank forecloses on wrong house

Having your belongings repossessed by a bank is an awful experience, but it’s probably a lot worse when it’s done by accident.

That’s what one central Ohio woman claims happened to her.

“Katie Barnett says that the First National Bank in Wellston foreclosed on her house, even though it was not her bank,” 10TV.com reports.

“They repossessed my house on accident, thinking it was the house across the street,” Barnett explained.

Barnett added that she was away when the bank decided to break into her home and take her things.

She said she had “to crawl through the window of her own house in order to get in after she used her own key that did not work,” the report adds.

The report notes that most of her belongings were “hauled away,” some sold and others trashed.

Yes, the bank accidentally broke into her home and took her possessions thinking it had the correct house all along.

“They told me that the GPS led them to my house,” Barnett said. “My grass hadn’t been mowed and they just assumed.”

Local authorities, she added, were of little help.

“She called the McArthur Police about the incident, but weeks later, the chief announced the case was closed, the report notes.

She took her problem directly to the bank, presenting its president with a list totaling $18,000 for her stolen belongings.

He refused to pay.

“He got very firm with me and said, ‘We’re not paying you retail here, that’s just the way it is,’” Barnett said. “I did not tell them to come in my house and make me an offer. They took my stuff and I want it back.”

Shock has turned into anger.

“Now, I’m just angry,” she said. “It wouldn’t be a big deal if they would step up and say ‘I’m sorry, we will replace your stuff.’ Instead, I’m getting attitude from them. They’re sarcastic when they talk to me. They make it sound like I’m trying to rip the bank off. All I want is my stuff back.”

The bank president told 10TV.com they are trying to “come to terms” with Barnett.

Follow Becket Adams (@BecketAdams) on Twitter

I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Sue the living fuck out of them.

Comment

$18k is chump change... if the bank is smart they'll pay before she lawyers up. Prolly too late now that the story is out.

Comment

Yup that bank is going to loose a little cash. 18k doesnt go far in reality. Think about all the things in your house. I can think of 10k with a few small items.

Comment

As the president, I'd have gotten her the 18k, sent out cleaners to tidy the house, movers to place the new stuff and landscapers to make the yard neat

Comment

Why am I not surprised that the police would do nothing about her house being burglarized...

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

lawyers should be begging her to take this case. Easy settlement or national attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                Yup that bank is going to loose a little cash. 18k doesnt go far in reality. Think about all the things in your house. I can think of 10k with a few small items.
                Add to that all the shit that you can't replace like family heirlooms. If the bank broke into my house and stole my grandpa's shotgun I would probably have to straight up build a killdozer.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

18k? I know I have more than that in my house. But what about items that have no value at all, like belongings of past away family members. I think 1 million would suffice. Hope she lawyers up fast before the bank rethinks it.

Comment

This guy made two bad decisions. The first was foreclosing on the wrong house, the second was turning away her 18k demand.

Comment

She only asked $18k? I'd show up with a list of items like this:

Painting by my father: $30,000
                      Bronzed Baby Shoes: $10,000
                      Original Birth Cert: $200
                      Family photo albums: $20,000

All the lawyers she has met this week are going to make her a ton of cash. The bank should fire the manager, he obviously was looking out for her by not allowing her to settle for pennies on the dollar. They LITERALLY took everything from her except the clothes off her back...

Comment

Originally posted by MustangPoser View Post
                        She only asked $18k? I'd show up with a list of items like this:

Painting by my father: $30,000
                        Bronzed Baby Shoes: $10,000
                        Original Birth Cert: $200
                        Family photo albums: $20,000

All the lawyers she has met this week are going to make her a ton of cash. The bank should fire the manager, he obviously was looking out for her by not allowing her to settle for pennies on the dollar.
                        Can't forget the 5 carat diamond earrings $30,000 and diamond necklace $25,000.

Comment

And the 18 high speed suped up engines in the workshop along with all of the specialized tools

Comment

I hope the bank president is satisfied. The next offer to settle will probably have at least a couple of more zeroes at the end, and be accompanied by a court order.
                            "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

You guys are putting the cart before the horse with all this lawyer-up talk. This little problem is nothing that a killdozer won't solve.
                              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Working...
                              X