Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fort Worth couple arrives home to find their entire house gone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fort Worth couple arrives home to find their entire house gone.

Wonder if they've found a lawyer yet?

A Fort Worth, Texas, man went home to find an empty lot where his family's house of decades had stood. Local officials still don't know how it came to be mistakenly demolished by a crew last weekend.

David Underwood and his wife returned from out of town on Saturday and decided to stop by their house, which had belonged to his late grandmother and where they had planned to move eventually.

"We rounded the corner and my wife, Valerie says, 'The house is gone David,'" he told the Dallas Observer blog Unfair Park. "I'm looking at the yard, so I looked and I'm like, 'Wow, OK.'"

All that was left of their three-bedroom, one-bathroom ranch-style home was its foundation slab.

A passing city marshal informed them that the home was demolished, the Dallas Observer reported. The Underwoods eventually learned that the demolition crew contracted by the city had mistakenly cleared their home instead of a nearby one that was condemned months ago.

The Underwoods' home is on 9716 Watercress Drive while the condemned home, which is still standing, is on 9708 Watercress Drive.

Bill Begley, a spokesman for the City of Fort Worth provided a statement to ABC News.

"On July 12, 2013, contractors demolished the wrong property on Watercress Drive," the city's statement read. "The property to be demolished should have been 9708 Watercress Dr. The property that was demolished was a vacant structure located at 9716 Watercress Dr. City staff currently is investigating to determine what happened."

"A mistake was made," Fort Worth's code compliance director, Brandon Bennett, told The Dallas Morning News. "We have to identify where the weak link was and fix that so it doesn't happen again. We need to look at all of our upcoming demolitions, and double- and triple-check these things to make sure everybody has dotted the I's and crossed the T's."

It wasn't clear who whether the city or the demolition contractor would compensate the owners for the house. A call to the Underwoods wasn't immediately returned.

If they are smart, they are going to get Choo$$$ Choo$$$ money!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

It was an accident! Give them fair market value, plus %20 for emotional distress, call it a day.

Comment

Sadly, this happens quite often.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Probably same city outfit that assigns addresses to no-knock warrants....
          "Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

Comment

I'm withholding judgement until I hear the wrecking ball's side of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by cool cat View Post
              i'm withholding judgement until i hear the d-9 cat's side of the story.
              ftfy

Comment

The report on the radio said it was also filled with antiques, furniture, and other personal effects.

Comment

While I'm sure they could eventually pay me enough not to burn down every one of their houses, it'd take a while to reach it
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
                    The report on the radio said it was also filled with antiques, furniture, and other personal effects.
                    I heard there was a Ming vase inside

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                      It was an accident! Give them fair market value, plus %20 for emotional distress, call it a day.
                      that would happen in a perfect world.

Reality demo crew going to blame city, city will blame demo crew, going to be held up in court for a while.

Comment

Must have been wearing a hoodie and had skittles

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                          that would happen in a perfect world.

Reality demo crew going to blame city, city will blame demo crew, going to be held up in court for a while.
                          Sue them both...

Comment

Originally posted by Machx2 View Post
                            Sue them both...
                            This was my thought, they are both negligent

Comment

Originally posted by stevo
                              Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Working...
                              X