Kitchen remodel questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen remodel questions...

I deleted the thread in the home improvement forum because not many people go in there...

The house we just bought in Frisco has the same kitchen it has had in it since it was built in 1997. White laminate counter tops, shitty shallow sink, shitty microwave (with broken handle), shitty electric cooktop, shitty oven... We are slowly replacing appliances: got a stainless steel french door fridge already. There are a few things I want to change in this kitchen to make it bearable right now:

1. I NEED a gas cooktop. That means I need a gas line run from somewhere. The gas water heater is in the attic, the gas central heat is in the attic, and there's a gas fireplace in the living room, so I'm assuming that a gass line can be run to the kitchen from somewhere (sounds expensive)

2. I NEED an externally venting exhaust hood over the gas cooktop. My wife is Chinese and cooks Chinese food all the time, which is extremely oily/smoky, so this is a must.

3. I really want to get rid of these shitty counter tops and go with a solid surface counter top. The wife and I both like quartz or whatever looks nice without breaking the bank.

4. I want one large, deep sink, not this two sided shallow POS.

I have no idea who to contact to do this stuff, or what it will cost, and I need help getting started with a reliable contractor who can come out and give me estimates on things. Does anyone have a guy, know a guy, or happen to be that guy? Any help is appreciated.

I say go all out and turn your bar into a hibachi grill.

DO IT
    DO IT

DO IT

Comment

If you already have a gas furnace and gas water heater, it is entirely possible that you have a gas stub where your cook top is, buried behind the sheetrock. Of course, you need to bust the sheetrock to find out, or get in the attic above the wall the stove is on, and see if you have a line running down. If you're halfway handy, and have to run a new gas line, it really isn't that difficult.

Check with Mike C on the exhaust hood. He does all kinds of remodeling, not just roofing. And his expertise wouldn't be a bad thing since a roof penetration would have to be made.

On the counters, you could do granite tile with a wood sub top on the cheap. I think they look like shit, but they are a fraction of the cost, and a lot of people like them.

On the sink, that is easy also. You should be able to do it yourself, or have it done at the same time as the counter. I prefer undermounts with a solid surface counter. Pay attention to the depth though, you'll need to account for the height of the disposer if you have one. Those things are tall.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

X2 on the gascock being somewhere near the stove
        THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

I've been handy everywhere else around the house and am ready to hand some money (reasonable amount, mind you, I'm on a budget) to someone to take care of the kitchen. If it can't be done within the budget I've set aside for it, then I will do some of it myself, but I'd rather not dick with it if I don't have to.

Comment

I don't think I'd be comfortable running gas lines myself either. I wouldn't want my house blowing up because I tried saving a few bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
              I don't think I'd be comfortable running gas lines myself either. I wouldn't want my house blowing up because I tried saving a few bucks.
              Running from the wall to the stove? I can do that. Running from Attic to kitchen? I was under the impression that a certified plumber had to do that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post

Meh. It's cast iron pipe. Shut off the gas to the house, purge gas from line, get your pipe cut and threaded, pipe dope the connections, and voila. You have to make sure the size will supply the BTU rating of the cooktop, but it's pretty simple. This is all assuming your incoming line size will support the additional load.

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                Running from the wall to the stove? I can do that. Running from Attic to kitchen? I was under the impression that a certified plumber had to do that shit.
                I'm pretty sure you are technically supposed to use a plumber, and pull a permit. But, fuck the man!
                Originally posted by BradM
                But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                Originally posted by Leah
                In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                X