No announcement yet.

craigslist gold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a '69 Mach1 with a 429/C6. The '69-'70 look great IMO. I don't think they needed to ugly up the outside to make a 429/460 fit.
    I did not know who did the styling so I looked it up.
    From wiki:
    Developed under the watch of "Bunkie" Knudsen, the Mustang evolved "from speed and power" to the growing consumer demand for bigger and heavier "luxury" type designs.[33] "The result were the styling misadventures of 1971–73 ... The Mustang grew fat and lazy,"[33] "Ford was out of the go-fast business almost entirely by 1971."[34] "This was the last major restyling of the first-generation Mustang."[35] "The cars grew in every dimension except height, and they gained about 800 pounds (363 kg)."[35] "The restyling also sought to create the illusion that the cars were even larger."[35] The 1971 Mustang was nearly 3 inches (76 mm) wider than the 1970, its front and rear track was also widened by 3 inches (76 mm), and its size was most evident in the SportsRoof models with its nearly flat rear roofline[36] and cramped interior with poor visibility for the driver.[37] Performance decreased with sales continuing to decrease[38] as consumers switched to the smaller Pintos and Mavericks. A displeased Iacocca summed up later: "The Mustang market never left us, we left it."[39]

Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Nash B. View Post
      Call it something else, but Mustang II front clips are great.
      Magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by EW View Post
        I had a '69 Mach1 with a 429/C6.
        Was it a Boss 429, or did you swap it in?

Stevo
        Originally posted by SSMAN
        ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Originally posted by stevo View Post

Stevo
          No Boss was an auto, so it must have been swapped. It was still very tricky to do, with very little space.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
            No Boss was an auto, so it must have been swapped. It was still very tricky to do, with very little space.
            I know, my next comment was going to be if he ever changed his spark plugs.

The point is that Ford had made them wider to use the 429/460, which was planned on actually being bored/stroked to 500+ due to the fact that Americans were no longer wanting pony cars at the end of 60's, and to push the heavy 71-73's they needed to widen them to install the new big block.

Then the whole oil crises, EPA bullshit, etc happened and all the plans went to shit.

Stevo
            Originally posted by SSMAN
            ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I know, my next comment was going to be if he ever changed his spark plugs.

The point is that Ford had made them wider to use the 429/460, which was planned on actually being bored/stroked to 500+ due to the fact that Americans were no longer wanting pony cars at the end of 60's, and to push the heavy 71-73's they needed to widen them to install the new big block.

Then the whole oil crises, EPA bullshit, etc happened and all the plans went to shit.

Stevo
              Yeah, the '71's were the last Mustangs to have "real" muscle: Boss 351 and the 429's.

Comment

Stevo
                I bought the car with three wheels, no engine, no trans. Drunk girl caused the destruction of my pretty clean '68 T-Bird so engine and trans came from it. There was a company that made bolt in motor mounts that moved the engine up and forward. The water pump pulley was really close to the radiator. Had to run an electric fan.

Comment

Sorry, wasn't about the car I was baffled at the name of the shop, Kompact Kar Korner. Why go out of your way to do that when correctly spelled they all start with C...

But to jump on the band wagon, yeah boo on 71-73 mustangs and the fastest first gen mustang the boss 351
                  1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

All it is is an address for the next "group" meeting.

Comment

Working...
                    X