No announcement yet.

Germany short hair or weimaraner (sp?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germany short hair or weimaraner (sp?)

Who has any feedback on these dogs? My kids (4 and 7) want new family dog and they saw these two recently. And I'm sure it's because they just saw these two last. But they seem like cool dogs. Any feedback?

I have a buddy that hs a 1 year old German Short hair. That dog is probably the most hyper dog I have ever seen. He has a yard for him, but not very big so maybe that is his problem.

Comment

If you like those breeds also look at Vizslas. They are the same type of build, maybe a little smaller in some cases, and are reddish brown. Great dogs, very loyal and very trainable. They also have tons of energy, so a walk every day or the dog park every couple of days is pretty much mandatory.

Comment

Pointers are working dogs, so they need to get out and run. We had 3 when I was a kid and we did a lot of quil hunting. Good dogs, just be aware. I'm not a grey ghost fan, but they have a following.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

My parents had two weimaraners. Great dogs. One passed away about six months ago after living about 15 years.

Comment

My parents had two Weimaraners (Frieda and Heide) back in the 60's and enjoyed both of them. They were both females and extremely intelligent (slightly less than a Lab). They love to swim and have a hunting instinct.

My wife and I had a female and we had similar success. All the dogs were purchased when they were real young and we had no problems with them.

Since I have owned a Weimar (Greta) and a Lab (Buddy, a yellow male), my favorite was the Lab. The Lab has the intelligence level approaching some adults I know! Good watch dog, loves everyone, excellent swimmer, fast runner and on and on.

You cant go wrong with a Wiemar, though!
            Mustangs previously owned:
            1967 Coupe V8 (My first car)
            1992 LX AOD
            1993 LX Drag Car
            1995 GTS
            1997 Cobra
            2000 Cobra R

2002 Corvette C5 A4 10.64@ 127.1
            Undercover SC Dragster 8.10's

In the garage now....
            2016 Honda Accord Touring
            2015 F-150 Silver 5.0 XLT SuperCrew, like new condition

Retired 2008 after 41 years as an EE at LTV (Garland)/TI/Raytheon. Enjoying ham radio now.

Comment

Weimaraner/Lab checking in. Very smart,loyal, and active.

Comment

I've only had experience with one weimaraner and it was dumb as a box of rocks.
                Token Split Tail

Originally posted by slow99
                Lmao...my favorite female poster strikes again.
                Originally posted by Pokulski-Blatz
                You are a moron .... you were fucking with the most powerful vagina on DFW(MU)stangs.

Comment

GSP if you plan on hunting it. Or a Vizsla like Ratt mentioned. But Weimaraner are great dogs too.

Speaking of, my male Vizsla still has he's nuts and is registered. Anyone one here have a female willing to breed? i just want first pick female.
                  You remember the stories John use to tell us about the the three chinamen playing Fantan? This guy runs up to them and says, "Hey, the world's coming to an end!" and the first one says, "Well, I best go to the mission and pray," and the second one says, "Well, hell, I'm gonna go and buy me a case of Mezcal and six whores," and the third one says "Well, I'm gonna finish the game." I shall finish the game, Doc.

Comment

Originally posted by DieselSmoke View Post
                    GSP if you plan on hunting it. Or a Vizsla like Ratt mentioned. But Weimaraner are great dogs too.

Speaking of, my male Vizsla still has he's nuts and is registered. Anyone one here have a female willing to breed? i just want first pick female.
                    I have an English Mastiff that needs to be cut, but i kinda want to get him laid first.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

As said before, both of these breeds are high energy, be prepared for that. Also here are some things to consider - both are hunting breeds, if you have any small furry creatures you are fond of, use caution. With Weim's, they are at a higher risk for bloat/GDV, talk to your veterinarian about gastropexy at the time of spay/neuter. GSH Pointers seem to have a high instance of skin issues from my experience. They also are predisposed to coagulation (bleeding) disorders. If you're buying from a breeder, ask if their dogs have been tested or not. Also, use precaution before any surgeries if you are unsure of the testing status. As always, I recommend trying to find a breed specific rescue when possible - www.petfinder.com . Best of luck!

Comment

I also forgot to add my buddy has spent no less than about $8,000.00 on his German Short Hair because his anal gland keeps getting infected. You read that right on both counts.

Comment

Working...
                        X