giant mosquito found in east Texas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• giant mosquito found in east Texas.

This is scary, from googling the name, it appears they are emerging in a bunch of places this summer.

MINEOLA, TX (KLTV) -

People say everything's bigger in Texas, but sometimes that's not such a great thing.

"I have no idea what it is, but it sure resembles a mosquito," said Mitchell White, the man who owns the home where the giant mosquito was found.

It's a large mosquito that their mother, Thelma McQueen, found in their home.

"I thought it was a yellow jacket and I'm allergic to the things so I stepped on it and it didn't kill it that time and so I stepped on it again and it still didn't kill it," McQueen said.

White said they live in a heavy wooded area and see lots of bugs and mosquitos, but none this big.

"We've seen a lot of different insects and different things living here in the river bottom," White said. "Usually there's a lot of mosquitos but this one right here, it takes the cake for sure."

We set the mosquito on a tape measure and it was easily an inch wide and an inch long.

Dr. Srini Kambhampati with the UT Tyler Biology Department has studied insects for 35 years.

He says he has never seen a mosquito this large.

"This is perhaps the largest mosquito that is out there that actually bites other humans and other warm blooded animals," said Dr. Kambhampati.

Without bringing into the lab, he believes that this monster of a mosquito is a gallinipper.

"The scientific name is psorophora, some people call it gallinipper but it is a large mosquito that is native to North America," said Dr. Kambhampati.

The insects are mostly present in the eastern United States, but have been seen in Texas before.

These mosquitos for the most part are harmless.

"To the best of my knowledge they don't spread any disease but if they're present in large numbers they can be very painful because they are so large that they tend to cause more pain than your normal mosquito," said Dr. Kambhampati.

Dr. Kambhampati says insect repellent with 20% to 30% deet will keep these mosquitos away.

The mosquito has been left in the hands of Dr. Kambhampati at the UT Tyler Biology Department for further research.

Stevo
    Originally posted by SSMAN
    ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Easier to kill.

Comment

fuck all of that

Comment

Got em in kansas. They have never tried to bite me, but they are huge.

Comment

Case of beer and a ping pong paddle could make for a fun evening.
          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

"It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Too bad they are not all that big. Those small ones are hard to kill.

CN

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
                Case of beer and a shotgun could make for a fun evening.
                Fixed.

Stevo
                Originally posted by SSMAN
                ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

I had something buzzing around the garage like that. It seemed pissed off and kept running into things.

Comment

fuck bugs. had one get into my helmet while riding and crawl into my fucking ear!!

had to go to the doctor to get that little shit dug out

Comment

Its East Texas, obvious they are just meth head skeeters....

Comment

You could put a saddle on that bastard
                        03 cobra

Comment

I have seen a couple of those out here in Greenville. Saw one dead on a sidewalk in Forney at work last week. I didn't realize they were mosquitos!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Reminds me of these grass hoppers...

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X