fired for "side work" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fired for "side work" ?

Was talking to a guy today that is a heavy equipment mechanic. He was buying some truck parts I had..I asked if he was interested in some side work on a tractor I have, he said he couldn't because he would get fired. I said wth? He said yes, his employer will fire any employee found to be doing any mechanic work on their own time..said they fired a guy last month for doing it. That is jacked up. Side work is bread and butter for any decent mechanic.
    Anyone else deal with this ?

Sounds like he signed a No Compete contact/clause upon his hiring agreement.

Saved and Texan by the Grace of God, Redneck by choice.

Comment

The only time it was a problem, was when I did it at the shop where I worked.

What I did at my shop or house, was my business....

And Usually the other mechanics are the ones that snitch you off.....being paid on commission, will turn most people into back stabbing SOB's
      sigpic
      "Lookin' back in front of me in the mirror's a grin,
      through eyes of love I see I'm really lookin' at a friend
      We've all had our problems that's the way life is,
      my heart goes out to others who are there to make amends".

Comment

Yep, I've been told I can't do any side work on any Caterpillar equipment or engines. Non cat stuff is fine though.

Comment

Makes sense to me. They could be luring people from the business to his own house to work on them.

Comment

lmk if you ever need a cable outlet added anywhere... garage, bathroom, shed, whatever
            sigpic

Comment

Its not just mechanics. I work in computer/digital forensics and I can't do any sidework specific to that.

Now I do consult on technical publications and tech edit but on those I can't disclose my current employer in my bios. My employer is also aware of that and I got prior approval.

Any general IT stuff is fair game but their concern is that the training they paid for could get called into question
              2013 F150 STX Supercab 5.0L w/3.55 LSD
              1990 GT Convertible

Comment

Yup, this is the norm. Any sidework that may possibly take away from the company's profits is a no no.
                Originally posted by Marisa
                we women are all irrational and emotional and insane...some just hide it better than others.

truth.

Comment

Arresting someone off duty is a big no-no, so I avoid it at all costs
                  Last edited by 03trubluGT; 07-13-2013, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    Arresting someone of duty is a big no-no, so I avoid it at all costs
                    He said "duty"

Comment

its considered a conflict of interests. we are allowed to do it, but when you get guys who call in on a tuesday because they have a side project lined up for that they, then well yeah they get put on "the list". and they dont stick around long after they're on the list.
                      THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAN View Post
                        He said "duty"
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                          Arresting someone off duty is a big no-no, so I avoid it at all costs
                          What happened to your weekend job running security at Wal Mart?

I really don't see how this is legal outside of non compete agreements. I can't figure out why the workforce has allowed these to become commonplace, either. I'd never sign a non compete unless it was part of the sale of a company.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Mine could care less so long as it doesn't interfere with the job they are paying you for.
                            "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by Jigga What? View Post
                              we are allowed to do it
                              I have a toilet that needs a new wax ring. Get on it, Shanignog.

Comment

Working...
                              X