Fish tank question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish tank question

I just set up my "new to me" saltwater tank that has an over the back filter set up on it. I got the suction proper (I believe) but when the water transfers from the tank to filter, it's very noisy. It sounds like someone left the sink on low. It has more water noise than I expected I guess, is that normal? There isn't much adjusting of levels as it somewhat does that itself. Ideas?

Putting warheads on foreheads since 2004

Pro-Touring Build

Bio balls. Yuck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

Came with the tank, what do you recommend? Live rock?

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

Live rock and live sand.

as for the overflow you need a durso stand pipe.

Durso Standpipes are used to make your aquarium overflow (weir) nearly silent. We help you make your own or purchase them ready made!

I had a 36" drop that was noisy as hell in my 250g. Put a durso in there nad the drop changed to about 8 inches. Plus - the overflow now acted as a bit of a refugium although i kept it clean with the exception of some live rock frags.

EDIT: I had an intank overflow - so I dunno if this will totally work for you. I stayed the hell away from over the back setups.

Comment

Bio balls are a nitrate factory. You should have a Refugium

Comment

Noise is normal. I have a pair of clown fish in the worlds most deadly saltwater tank (I haven't done maintenance on it in...... 7 months?) if you want them. I'll be in Boston until the 16th but can hook you up when I get back. I could throw you a chunk of live rock, the stuff I have is probably crazy efficient at removing nitrates

Comment

LMAO, Ya sure I'll take whatever. I'll be transferring my live rocks and fish from my little 20 gallon into this one once it's stable so the 16th after is good. Thanks.

Pro-Touring Build

Comment

If you need rock and sand, I have a bunch that I pulled out of my tank. Its all probably dead now but you could seed it and bring it back to life... Of course I'm on the other side of the Metroplex from you but at $7-$8 per pound, it might be worth the drive...

Comment

Sell it and get a drilled tank. The overflow box set up is a nightmare waiting to happen. Cut power, lose suction, power come back on, pump comes back on, empties your fuge and you come home to 10-20gallons of water on your floor.

Comment

Working...
                  X