Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cottonmouth bite from noodling...

Man bitten by snake while noodling
    ATOKA COUNTY, OK -- An Atoka man has grabbed national attention after he was bitten by a poisonous snake while noodling, or hand-fishing, a popular sport in Texoma. He says he is lucky to still have his hand, but says he is even more fortunate to still have his life.

20-year-old Destry Mitchell says he was noodling with friends behind a cove on McGee Creek Lake when he was bitten by a three and a half foot Cottonmouth.

"There was a rock sticking up out of the middle of the water so I put my hand on it to move around it, and there was a snake I guess right behind the rock and I guess he saw my finger and he looked at that finger and just latched onto it," Mitchell said.

After pulling the snake off Mitchell alerted his friends who rushed him to the hospital.

"I get to about Lane and it automatically feels like somebody has a hammer just beating you in the hand with a hammer over and over again," Mitchell said.

Mitchell says he was taken to an area hospital, but ended up at OU Medical Center. By that point he realized how severe his injury was.

"When I first got there they were talking about death, you know, and I was like I'm not going to lay in this bed a die over a snake bite, you know, and then they were like 'well sir you're probably going to lose your hand', and I said you can take my hand that's fine," Mitchell said.

Hearing her son could lose his life brought his mother to tears.

"That's the worst thing any mother in the world could hear. So it was scary. " Mitchell's mom, Tamara Edwards said.

After 14 vials of anti-venom Mitchell is alive and well with his limbs in tact. He says he gives thanks to God and his 3-month-old son.

"That's the only thing that was going through my mind was my little boy ,you know, playing catch with him, teaching him how to fish with a rod and reel," Mitchell said.

Noodling is when you stick your arm in a body of water, under a rock in a hole and you will either feel a fish, or it will bite you and latch on.

After his near-death experience Mitchell says he is unsure if he will ever noodle again, but has this message for those who do.

"Noodling is a very very dangerous sport. When you go in there and check your holes make sure your rocks are stable you go under, make sure your surroundings are fine, make sure there's no snakes on rocks," Mitchell said.

In several states noodling is illegal, but it is legal in Oklahoma. This past week Mitchell says his story has made it onto LIVE with Kelly and Michael and says he has been contacted by Animal Planet's Hillbilly Handfishin'.

Who's in?!
    ./ ____ _ _\.
    (]]]_ o _[[[)
    \o_FORD_o/
    |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

I wonder what the average IQ of noodlers would be...

Comment

There's a reason God made fishing poles.

Comment

Originally posted by Vertnut View Post
        There's a reason God made fishing poles.
        Si.
        ./ ____ _ _\.
        (]]]_ o _[[[)
        \o_FORD_o/
        |__|.....|__|

God closes doors no man can open, God opens doors no man can close. Revelations 3:7-8

Comment

You have to be a complete fucking moron to go noodling. Snakes, alligators, snapping turtles, unstable rocks. Far too many ways to get injured or killed.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            You have to be a complete fucking moron to go noodling. Snakes, alligators, snapping turtles, unstable rocks. Far too many ways to get injured or killed.

Exactly. I treasure my digits a little too much.
            ./ ____ _ _\.
            (]]]_ o _[[[)
            \o_FORD_o/
            |__|.....|__|

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
              Same could be said for drag racing, sky diving, or anything adrenaline inducing, really. I'm not at all saying they are smart. But, anything and everything can kill you these days.
              Originally posted by BradM
              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
              Originally posted by Leah
              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

What does grabbing fish out of the water have to do with delicious noodles?

Comment

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/excursions/post/bare-knuckle-babe-wrestles-to-shore-a-72-pound-catfish/ :)

Yes she is VERY attractive... Buts nuts she is.... Shes got sum HUGE cojones....
                  ./ ____ _ _\.
                  (]]]_ o _[[[)
                  \o_FORD_o/
                  |__|.....|__|

Comment

Originally posted by BradM View Post
                    I wonder what the average race of noodlers would be...
                    fixed.

elohel jaykay
                    THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                      Same could be said for drag racing, sky diving, or anything adrenaline inducing, really. I'm not at all saying they are smart. But, anything and everything can kill you these days.
                      I see London, I see France, I see Brent's Oklahoma!

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        I agree, but with those things, you can take precautions and steps to be safe. You aren't going in completely blind and hoping for the best.

Comment

JC316, were you at pick n pull (off 175/2nd ave) in the last few days??
                          THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Ok. Im compfused... Naynay=?! What?!?!

Thread derailment... But still.
                            ./ ____ _ _\.
                            (]]]_ o _[[[)
                            \o_FORD_o/
                            |__|.....|__|

Comment

i hacked the site.. this is now my forum. im the moderator. you got questions? i got answers.
                              THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Working...
                              X