Lower back problems and beds...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower back problems and beds...

Looking for some insight from you guys for a mattress replacement. Right now, I have the Sealy Posturepedic, and it's absolutely horrible for my lower back. I wake up almost every morning in incredible pain. Looking for some recommendations on whats worked for you guys with lower back issues. Heard good things about the sleep number beds, and the temperpedic beds.

Any help will be appreciated!

Nick

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the name brand is one thing but their stiffness levels are independant. i.e. Costco had two mattresses for sale, same brand name. One was softer then the other - we bought the firmer one.

The firmer mattress made a HUGE difference in my back pain. I'll admit though, my minor back problems are nothing compared to what you endure.

Also, you have to maintain the matress and keep the lumps, bumps and sagging away or else it might as well be a 100 dollar mattress.

Plus, you may want to think about some additional foam or something else to help your back. Do you sleep mainly on your side, back...belly?
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Mainly sleep on my side and stomach. I've also added one of those mattress topper things, and it didn't help AT ALL!

My main issue is it doesn't matter how many beds you lay on and try out, you'll never really know until you sleep on it for a couple of nights. Can you return a mattress after you've slept on it a few times?

Comment

Get one of the sleep numebr beds, they have a 90 day trial period I think???

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
          Mainly sleep on my side and stomach. I've also added one of those mattress topper things, and it didn't help AT ALL!

My main issue is it doesn't matter how many beds you lay on and try out, you'll never really know until you sleep on it for a couple of nights. Can you return a mattress after you've slept on it a few times?
          *shrug* you could at Costco, but I'm not sure about normal policy.

Comment

I have a congenital back problem. I used to have problems with lower back pain. I tried firm beds and soft beds. Neither seemed to help with reoccurring pain. Ever since I started working out I have not had any problems. I believe losing 40 pounds and strengthening my back muscles were the solution to my problem. A stronger core can better support the body and reduce stress on the back.
            class joke
            {
            private:
            char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
            double Peas, Carrots;
            string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
            };

Comment

I love my Tempurpedic, but there are several different models in the full range of soft to firm. I've had mine almost 10 years and it feels like it did on day one. Very very well made product.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
                I have a congenital back problem. I used to have problems with lower back pain. I tried firm beds and soft beds. Neither seemed to help with reoccurring pain. Ever since I started working out I have not had any problems. I believe losing 40 pounds and strengthening my back muscles were the solution to my problem. A stronger core can better support the body and reduce stress on the back.
                I wish I could! Unfortunately my back problems are a bit more severe, and just working out won't fix or help my issues.

Comment

Originally posted by clevelandkid View Post
                  I love my Tempurpedic, but there are several different models in the full range of soft to firm. I've had mine almost 10 years and it feels like it did on day one. Very very well made product.
                  Good to know! I think my biggest issue is I don't know if I should go more firm or more soft, and the only way to tell is to sleep on it a few nights. I hate wasting money, and buying a bed that they won't let you return after sleeping on it, is just wasting money.

I'm tempted to try one of those sleep number beds, because they are adjustable softer to firmer. That may be my best bet.

Comment

My man has a broken back and he works hunched over on cars everyday. Some days his back is good, other days he can't move. We have a sleep number bed finally and I have seen a dramatic change in how he sleeps and how he moves the next day! Mind you his back is still broken and he is sore from time to time, but nothing like he was before the sleep number. He can actually move around everyday.

Comment

Nick, there is a study out that shows that medium-firm beds are best for people with lower back problems. Some people with LBP prefer firm mattresses but this can aggravate the situation. I would recommend getting a med-firm mattress...soft mattresses exacerbate the problem.

Comment

when we were shopping for our current bed, my back was a little on the wack, and this thing felt awesome when I laid on it... it's a his/her that's firmer on one side than the other

when it was delivered and I first laid on in it, I was like "uh, oh, this thing is way too firm"

it's been awesome. my lower back hasn't ever been aggravated by this mattress in the 3yrs we've had it. Whenever I'm out of town, my favorite thing to do when I get home is to sleep in my OWN bed!!
                        http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by davbrucas View Post
                          Nick, there is a study out that shows that medium-firm beds are best for people with lower back problems. Some people with LBP prefer firm mattresses but this can aggravate the situation. I would recommend getting a med-firm mattress...soft mattresses exacerbate the problem.
                          Yeah I was reading that. It also depends on the type of back issues. I have a herniated disk on the L4/L5, and spinal stenosis on top of that(same level). My spinal cord is compressed down to 6mm at the L4/L5 level. Not to mention the L5/S1 fusion, and the spinal cord stimulator thats installed.

Wouldn't one of those sleep number beds be the answer to it all? I could try firm, soft or medium-firm and choose whats best for me?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Chapman View Post
                            Yeah I was reading that. It also depends on the type of back issues. I have a herniated disk on the L4/L5, and spinal stenosis on top of that(same level). My spinal cord is compressed down to 6mm at the L4/L5 level. Not to mention the L5/S1 fusion, and the spinal cord stimulator thats installed.

Wouldn't one of those sleep number beds be the answer to it all? I could try firm, soft or medium-firm and choose whats best for me?
                            Give it a shot...

Comment

I think sleep number maybe your answer and I think your mind is already made up on it.

To be honest, I'd probably do it too if I were in your shoes. Hell, ya know somedays you want a different feel when you sleep too. With that you can just willy nilly change it as you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X