How much more should I ask for? - Job related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lo3oz View Post
    Yeah, from what I read online and the research I've done, we should be pretty on point with one another when it comes time. I'm hoping it doesn't come to a negotation stage, as the job is pretty cake and i'd be a fool not to take it.

Thanks ya'll. I had the 3rd interview today up in Vegas, and it went alright. I don't feel like I aced the interview, but didn't bomb it by any means - at least i don't think. Kind of hoping that the fact that the hiring manager(s) both wanted me up here helps out.
    Why do you think the interview only went ok? I guess since I'm used to talking to people, I never really think interviews go bad. Actually, the only job I've ever interviewed for that I didn't get the job was in highschool, and that's because on the "agree/disagree" test, I answered in the middle on almost everything. Why? Because I didn't care. Just do something to relax you before an interview. Knowing you (to an extent) don't do what you'd like to do. I like to go for a jog, have a shower, then go. Kinda clears my mind of shit that's not relevant at that time.

Good luck though dude. What exactly do you do anyways? You used to work in Arizona, right?
    "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

As Matt says above, ask for a range. If they are insisting you throw a dollar amount out there, insist they give you a range... "Surely there must be a range associated with the position".....

You then know where to fall within that range = or where you'd like to wind up - keeping in mind that you don't want to price yourself out of the abiity to receive a nice merit range after the first year and throughout the years of the position.

And, be prepared with a small speech to justify the amount you requested. Aim for the high end of the range if you feel you carry the power to produce once you get in there.

I say something like :

"The qualifications outlined in the job description are definitley a skill set that I will bring to the position. Those are easily measured and are the very least that I will bring with me as I step into this position.
      However, what is sometimes not as easily quantified is the competitive attitude, the desire to always rise to the top of my group of peers, to lead, to be counted on when others can't - My history has been, and will continue to be, that I will strive to be a standout employee and be someone whom you will turn to when you need a project attended to with a degree of extra effort or at an increased pace to meet a deadline that's been moved up. I am not satisfied to merely come to work and perform at the minimum level, rather I intend to be seen as a top performer. That mindset does not necessarily show up on a resume' or an appication, but is something I definitely am bringing with me into this position.

All that being said, I am requesting $XX,YYY per year."

Your figure being well past the median point based on the above sales pitch, PLUS an amount that you can tolerate losing half of, as you negotiate a final number.

The job I just interviewed for, I was not given a range, so I took a very educated guess and headed for the top of what I figured the range would be, added some for the above bulllshit, and added an amount that I expected to lose most of simply for making sure I shot way high...

Only to be told by the recruiter that my request could be met with no problem!

Now, I hadn't interviewed yet, this was all via email with the recruiter. I didn't want to be unprofessional by taking guesses now that I had a hint, nor did I want to leave money on the table, if I "completely missed the range"

So I stated it just like that, and asked if my figure was the figure that may eventually show up on an offer, should we move forward after the interview, or would the opportunity to discuss salary come up in a future conversation.

She said the initial discussion that was just to make sure that I wasn't asking for something that couldn't be met, and therefore they'd never be able make me happy, which it definitely wasn't the case. I was told that she woud actually "coach" me as to what figure to go in with. Lots of times, the manager actually wants to spend that money, to be able to keep that money in their budged for next fiscal year-

Plus that company wants to keep their employees happy and retained.

Comment

One more thing I wanted to add is that I worked for a company.... a BIG reputable one... that paid a group of field installation techs, good ones, too....5 bucks an hour less than what the norm for that position was....

Knowing they'd all talk amongst themselves, but not to anyone else about their wage.... they all thought they were doing pretty good but everyone else was making 5-6 bucks more for the same exact job, and they'd been there for much longer - years in some cases..

It was the Asians that were getting the shaft. I wanted to tell them what they oughta be demanding, to do that job...

So, they will pay $10,000 a year less for the same exact position if they can get away with it.

That's why discussing salary is such a no no... ESPESCIALLY someone you're friends with in the same position.

Were you happy with the final outcome?

Comment

Working...
        X