How much more should I ask for? - Job related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much more should I ask for? - Job related

Interviewing tomorrow for a new job, and have a pretty good idea of the going rate for my work and what I would like to make. If / when the question comes up, how much wiggle room should I afford myself, if any?

If they offer you less than 90%...walk, unless there are other perks/benefits that would cover it.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

When I interviewed in the past I would make them put an offer on the table and then counter if I thought the offer wasn't legitimate. When I countered I would reiterate the value that I was bringing to the company and why I thought more pay was in order.
      An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come.

-Victor Hugo

Comment

This is one of those deals where each does it differently.

I used to allow them to do the offer. Now I tell them what I want about 5-10 grand higher. This allows them to understand where you're coming from and save time all the way around if there is no chance in hell of that pay being in their budget. Saves time all the way around.

Plus, if they hear that number and it is high for them - it also gives them the chance to make damned sure they want you too.
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Kyle, I agree with ceyko.

Comment

Just don't be the first one to say a dollar amount. Let them tell you what they're willing to pay before you tell them what you're willing to accept.

You don't want to find out later that they were willing to pay you more than you initially requested...

Comment

Kind of a double edged sword these days. Have to think how many other swinging dicks have interviewed. You throw a number out there too high and they may have another guy they almost liked as much as you that is willing to take their first offer....

Comment

It depends on if the position is hourly or salaried and the skill level, but always be prepared to negotiate. Go in with research about the average pay for the position and then be ready to argue why you’re worth more with facts about your work history, education, etc. Determining which intangibles are important to you and which are not is also a good idea.

Negotiate to Win is a good book on the subject, but since you’re interviewing tomorrow, brush up on some negotiating tips online.

Comment

It is shown that the person that puts out the first offer generally receives the better outcome. It is called anchoring and it has been statistically proven.

Comment

Always ask more than you think you're worth. You don't want them immediately scrambling for employment forms when you throw out a number.

I've found my #1 ally in getting a new job, is already having a job. If you're already working and already paying the bills, you can throw out a "ridiculous" number and see what sticks.
                    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                      Always ask more than you think you're worth. You don't want them immediately scrambling for employment forms when you throw out a number.

I've found my #1 ally in getting a new job, is already having a job. If you're already working and already paying the bills, you can throw out a "ridiculous" number and see what sticks.
                      sound advice

Comment

In my experiences, good companies hire people they like and will overlook a few dollars in order to secure your employment if they feel you are really the best fit or better fitting than those who have applied. IMO, the key is to not be ridiculous with your counter offer, but also be fair to yourself. If you want $50k and they're offering $40k, saying your want $75k is going to look like you are inexperienced and not sure what you're doing, unless you can back up why you are worth that much more money to them. I don't want to throw this on him, but bcoop seems to have a really good grasp on negotiating salary/wage and you might see if he is willing to give you some additional pointers. Of course it also depends on what industry this is in, as that will always play a factor in how to approach your selling angle and what kind of extra beneficial offerings this company can give you to sweeten the deal. Just remember, you're trying to sell yourself to the people you are interviewing with, so make sure you dress to impress and be confident.

Comment

Ask for an oz.
                          Originally posted by talisman
                          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
                          Originally posted by AdamLX
                          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
                          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                          Because fuck you, that's why
                          Originally posted by 80coupe
                          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
                          Originally posted by Rick Modena
                          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
                          Originally posted by Jester
                          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I've always asked for a range that they currently pay for this position.

Then I usually pick the highest side, if it something I feel I'm the best qualified candidate out there.

When I got my job with Dell, what I asked for was a little higher than the position's req. had listed. After they decided they wanted me, they made it happen.

Comment

Yeah, from what I read online and the research I've done, we should be pretty on point with one another when it comes time. I'm hoping it doesn't come to a negotation stage, as the job is pretty cake and i'd be a fool not to take it.

Thanks ya'll. I had the 3rd interview today up in Vegas, and it went alright. I don't feel like I aced the interview, but didn't bomb it by any means - at least i don't think. Kind of hoping that the fact that the hiring manager(s) both wanted me up here helps out.

Comment

Working...
                              X