NASA Satellites Reveal East Texas Is Running Out of Groundwater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA Satellites Reveal East Texas Is Running Out of Groundwater

Some 285 miles above the Earth's surface, a pair of NASA satellites can measure changes in groundwater levels at river-basin scale. And what they're telling us about Texas and much of the South is disturbing. The satellites are identifying hot spots that blanket East Texas and much of the Panhandle,...

One interesting part bolded below:

Some 285 miles above the Earth's surface, a pair of NASA satellites can measure changes in groundwater levels at river-basin scale. And what they're telling us about Texas and much of the South is disturbing. The satellites are identifying hot spots that blanket East Texas and much of the Panhandle, where groundwater supplies may be depleted within decades.

Development and agriculture are draining aquifers that aren't being recharged because of persistent drought. Take a gander at the red spots on the map above and you'll notice entire regions of the state, measuring thousands of square miles, are at risk of running out. Given the increasing demands placed on groundwater and decreasing rainfall, perhaps this should not be surprising. What's stunning, though, is the fact that there is no real clearinghouse of large, river-basin level groundwater data. Much of what we can draw from is more granular.

That's what makes NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment (GRACE) so fascinating. It gives nationwide -- even worldwide -- snapshots of groundwater levels over the course of a decade. It would appear that the moisture is moving north, where record-breaking rainfall and floods are becoming more common, while the South only gets drier, according to a study in the journal Science.

GRACE doesn't really see these changes so much as it experiences them. Twin satellites orbiting within roughly 100 miles of each other are constantly measuring subtle changes in the distance between them. Those changes are influenced by gravity. Because water has more mass, it exerts more gravity and will alter the satellites' speed and their distance from one another. What they're detecting, essentially, are changes in the distribution of water and its mass beneath the surface in a way well-by-well measurements never could.

"[There is a] very dire situation that we face right now in the United States that, frankly, I don't think many people recognize," the paper's author, Jay Famiglietti, director of the UC Center for Hydrologic Modeling at the University of California, Irvine, told Scientific American. "I'm talking about the very rapid rates of groundwater depletion."
    WRX

Global warming

Comment

so you are telling me the entire area right next to the gulf of mexico has no water?

god bless.
      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
        Houstonions drink right from the ship channel! North Texans are a bunch of pussies!

god bless.
        Fixed.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Do we have desalination plants on the Gulf to provide clean water?
          I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

can't we just pump that down here from the north? Just like with the oil pipeline...

Comment

Great, you fucks went and drank up all the damn water. Now how am I supposed to wash my car?

That's why I drink Coke and Koolaid and shit. Gotta conserve the water, man!

Comment

Didn't it just flood 2ft of water in Houston/San Antonio area in the last month

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                  Do we have desalination plants on the Gulf to provide clean water?
                  There's only one in Florida that I'm aware of. If this turns out to be true, which I'm rather skeptical of at this point, then hopefully this will spur the development of more desalination plants, maybe even pipelines into the interior of the state.

Comment

That shit was taken back in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck_Finley View Post
                      There's only one in Florida that I'm aware of. If this turns out to be true, which I'm rather skeptical of at this point, then hopefully this will spur the development of more desalination plants, maybe even pipelines into the interior of the state.
                      which was your favorite? angels, indians or the cards?

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

sucks to be me

<---on well water
                        "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Comment

Guess that derails plans to secede.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                            Guess that derails plans to secede.
                            I wouldn't say that. Desal plants with our oil money would make it fairly simple.
                            I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
                              That shit was taken back in 2011.
                              During the worst drought since the Dust Bowl days.

Stevo
                              Originally posted by SSMAN
                              ...Welcome to the land of "Fuck it". No body cares, and if they do, no body cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X