This message will self destruct in.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Binky View Post
    Tech like this does exist to an extent (limiting forwards, auto expiration) but only works within a single environment. ONce sent outside an organization, the headers are stripped rendering the email a basic text file.

As for self destruct, impossible. Back end system backups, frozen images, even mirror copies stripped out to a mirror device. Once you create data - it exists and can always be recovered/accessed.
    It's not like someone can't take a full scroll screenshot and send. The technology is nothing but a screen door that amounts to a press release and AT&T's name in the news on a slow day.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasure Chest View Post
      It's not like someone can't take a full scroll screenshot and send. The technology is nothing but a screen door that amounts to a press release and AT&T's name in the news on a slow day.
      I agree in regards to AT&T. Don't upgrade their ancient copper backbone..raise rates and create e-mail gimmicks instead.

Comment

Will this work for ashleymadison.com PM's and history?

Comment

Solves their server storage issues as well -

Lets just delete any messages older than a week and call it "email security".

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
            Will this work for ashleymadison.com PM's and history?
            I would suggest an actual IED for the device you're going to use, just to be sure it is not recoverable.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
              I would suggest an actual IED for the device you're going to use, just to be sure it is not recoverable.
              Fire, microwave, magnets, and hammers would all be involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                I agree in regards to AT&T. Don't upgrade their ancient copper backbone..raise rates and create e-mail gimmicks instead.
                It has been upgraded. Tremendously in fact.
                03 cobra

Comment

Originally posted by brandon01rt View Post
                  It has been upgraded. Tremendously in fact.
                  Please expand on "tremendously". I am not speaking of their LTE investment. I am speaking of their residential and business loops.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
                    Theres another HUGE reason why this won't implement - hacking.

Can you imagine an exploit that comes about where they make every single email autodestruct within a second? Software is fallible - you can not make a 100% secure system that is at the same time usable. There is a reason why the majority of people don't use encryption as its not simple to implement unless you understand it.

Fuck, most people can't understand the difference between a phone cable and a network cable.
                    Exactly what I was immediately thinking. Can't imagine what something like this would do in an Exchange Server. It likely just wouldn't work once inside the jet database.

Either way, I can't see this ever being a reliable option.
                    70' Chevelle RagTop
                    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

This is nothing new. Microsoft has had this technology for years, though it's never been marketed to anyone but big Enterprises looking to secure themselves internally, for all of the reasons already posted.

I liken it to the security of the .pdf, all that it means is that you can't manipulate the data as easily, and can track the changes to a specific document.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                        This is nothing new. Microsoft has had this technology for years, though it's never been marketed to anyone but big Enterprises looking to secure themselves internally, for all of the reasons already posted.

I liken it to the security of the .pdf, all that it means is that you can't manipulate the data as easily, and can track the changes to a specific document.
                        Yes, this is all done through Rights Management...which is a standard feature in Exchange already. RM works damned good too....you can prevent forwarding, reply-all, printing, and even screen shot. Aside from taking a picture of the monitor you can do just about anything.

However, like you alluded too above....RM is an Enterprise feature. It relies on AD to verify permissions, so it's limited to within it's own environment. That's why I question how this would work from a consumer standpoint....the message would essentially have to corrupt itself once read....and I could see that causing some real issues with the way most messaging DBs work, and especially thinking about how AV handles email.

Could be a potential nightmare honestly.
                        70' Chevelle RagTop
                        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                        X