Painter Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painter Problem

2, yes, 2 years ago I dropped off my wife's 68 coup to be painted at a "buddies" shop . At the time I had just put it togeather from boxes of parts as I bought the car as a friends abandoned project.

I rebuilt 351w, recovered front seats, assembled the whole car as it was torn down when I bought it. Got it togeather, put 500 miles on it and my buddie said he "needed the work" and would like to do the body work and paint on it.

I was gun shy as I knew his history on timing was poor. The first year he got sick with kidney stones, was too hot, had family issues and so on. I have bought the tail kit ( trunk spoiler ) and all the parts he asked for. Gave him upfront money and bought $500.00 worth of paint. He owns the shop and never can get to our car. Wife even goes down to the shop as she drives home by it and the shop is locked up. It's across the street from Gas Monkey.

He has done some work on the car but it's nowhere close to being done. I just want a 20/20 car. You know 20 feet away at 20 mile per hour it should look great. I have given him over $5700.00 but thats it.

Any LEGAL ideas, my wife has lots of others but I told her not yet.

Is it lawyer time? Hell I can't even drive it and the wife is hot.

Go get your car before he starts charging you storage fees. If you want it painted take it to a real shop.
    Rich

Comment

You gave him $5700 already and it was supposed to be a 20/20 paint job?!? Dang dude. Not sure a lawyer will help much, the lawyer fees have to be paid and unless he has money (sounds like he doesn't) you'll probably have a hard time getting a lawyer to take the case since the lawyer fees would be part of the suit. Maybe small claims court would be a better route. I've been in your situation and it sucks. Good luck.

Comment

Damn man, good luck with that. I pay when the job is done, not when its started.

Comment

Been through the "bodyshop hell" myself. One was a new shop and one was a "buddy deal". Both said they could have the car done in 1 year. That was just paint and I would reassemble. The car spent over 4 and half years in the two shops and it was on a rotisserie when I decided enough was enough of the lies, promises and maybes. It seems to work that way more times than not when messing with restorations. Sad but true. The car is now in a third shop......

Comment

He owns the shop or rents it?

If you can afford it sue win judgement, pay lawyer out of your own pocket and have the lawyer put a lien on the shop/property. Foreclose or he will pay you back.

Comment

Never prepay a paint/ body guy

This will always happen. That kind of work is only motivated by money!
              One day at a time.

Comment

First thing first. Get the car back. THEN evaluate your options.
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Hopefully taking the car home and threatening legal action will make this dickhead want to settle up things up.

Comment

Old cars and restorations suck. Nobody want to pay enough and no one wants to do them. Do not prepay or pay just enough for materials and that's it.

Comment

Welcome to every body shop in business. I swear, this happens to everyone I've ever known with a paint project.

Comment

Well, at least you have a hot wife! LOL!

Seriously, nobody will screw you deeper than a "buddy" or family member. Because of the relationship and that element of trust, it leaves you vulnerable. The ones that are opportunistic will get you. If you have some records/receipts of what you've paid him, then go the legal route. At least get your car out of there and burn him down on this site, so we all know who NOT to use.

Comment

Been there, done that. I drove to Austin 3 times and finaly pulled mine after almost a year of thier bullshit, after 2 redo's to fix thier fucked up issues. They screwed up more that they did good. So much for a customer "hooking me up"
                          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Kick their ass!!!!

Comment

Man you got fucked! I know friends are friends, But I like me more! Go get your shit. Hell give me some money & I will load my trailer & truck & go get it for you
                              GOD BLESS TEXAS
                              August Landscaping
                              214-779-7278
                              Seb's high class.
                              He'll mow your grass.
                              He'll kick your ass.
                              And while his kidney stones pass,
                              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Working...
                              X