Boat Question - Smart Tabs or Hydrofoil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Question - Smart Tabs or Hydrofoil

As some may remember, I bought my first boat a few months ago (Lowe FM165) and dig it.

I probably would've done a lot differently knowing what I know now. My biggest mistake was going with a 60hp motor as opposed to a 90hp. Now, I'm trying to compensate for it.

Long story short - 2 + fishing gear, generally fairly quick to get on plan

2 or more plus extras it takes awhile. My biggest problem is when in rough water - I can't get on plane and generally have problems steering.

I've been reading TFF, iboat..etc and it really seems mixed between using a hydrofoil stabilizer and the Smart Tabs...(trim tabs)

Page Not Found The page you are looking for no longer exists or has been moved. Please use the navigation above to view our products.

The hydrofoil is cheaper and would not require any boat drilling, but the smart tab fans are really big fans.

Just looking for something to get on plane fast and also maintain it at lower speed. Any opinions?

Thank you
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

If you only have a 60hp motor I don't think you will see a benefit from a stabilizer. plus you will be adding drag to your boat. Do you have a Dolfin on your lower unit? (it looks like small wings). This will help you get on plain quicker and have better control.

Comment

I put a hydrofoil on my last boat that was taking a while to plane out 18ft with a 140 and it helped tremendously I did have to Dril holes to put it on, but it was well worth it.

Comment

One thing I forgot to mention is I'm going to try and 12P prop from a 14P prop as well - but have not gotten the new prop on the boat as of this time.

Racewerx, I wonder if we're talking about the same thing in regards to the hydrofoil.

krazy kris, it does seem fairly simple to install and is only 50 bucks for the one that seems to get good reviews.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sport-300-Hydrofoil-Black-SE300BLK/dp/B005IGNT6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371763488&sr=8-5&keywords=hydrofoil+stabilizer"]http://www.amazon.com/Sport-300-Hydrofoil-Black-SE300BLK/dp/B005IGNT6S/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371763488&sr=8-5&keywords=hydrofoil+stabilizer[/ame]

Just trying to make sure the hydrofoil is not a huge mistake. It's 50 dollars, but the smart tabs are only around 75 dollars more. Rather do it just once, but at the same time I'm trying to NOT drill into my hull on something that may or may not work.

Comment

Just to make sure, you are trimming your motor completely down and waiting to plane out before trimming up, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
            Just to make sure, you are trimming your motor completely down and waiting to plane out before trimming up, right?
            Yup, sure am. In smooth water it tends to eventually get on plane, even with weight. It's the rough water that I can't get on plane sometimes with weight.

Comment

If it has front and rear livewells try filling the front livewell.

Comment

Hydrofoil and prop pitch drop will greatly help.

Comment

LSx swap
                  THE BAD HOMBRE

Comment

Wharz the pics of the guy who used to be on here with the boat that burned to the ground and there were a few pics of it and his GF that has some sweet fun bags on her?

Comment

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                      If it has front and rear livewells try filling the front livewell.
                      I never have a chance to do that. My rear is the bait well, and we always have something in it. Either way, only 19 and 20 gallons so probably would not make that dramatic of a change overall. We do put most of the weight we can (coolers...etc) up front, just tends to be more room in the middle and stern.

Originally posted by shumpertdavid View Post
                      Hydrofoil and prop pitch drop will greatly help.
                      At the end of the day, it does not seem like anyone is really against the hydrofoil vs the smart tabs. Probably am going to give it a go for 50 bucks at this point.

Originally posted by inline 6 View Post
                      Wharz the pics of the guy who used to be on here with the boat that burned to the ground and there were a few pics of it and his GF that has some sweet fun bags on her?
                      I remember that gal's pics - good times. Although, I did not know his boat burned! That freaking blows.

Comment

You running a 3 blade or 4 blade? Guessing a 3 blade but just curious

Comment

Originally posted by cde21 View Post
                          You running a 3 blade or 4 blade? Guessing a 3 blade but just curious
                          3, when I tried to find a 4 blade I had a huge problem finding something online. I wanted one of those spitfires - so I just got the 3.

Comment

I swear, the 3 blade is better in MOST cases. A buddy just switched from a 25p 4 blade to a 25p tempest 3 blade and he shoots out of the hole and gained about 4 mph. From what I can gather 4 blades are good for rough water, and trolling. Im sure there are other pro's to them, but those are the only ones I have heard of. I run a 3 blade as well. I'd try the hydrofoil, 50 bucks isn't bad.

Comment

I installed a hydrofoil on my boat because part of the stabilizer fin broke off. Before I installed it the front of the boat would come 3-4 foot out of the water and it would take 10-15 seconds for it to plane out. I had to stick weights up front of have a passenger sit in the front to make it better. I installed the hydrofoil and as soon as I blip the throttle it planned out. Even when I weighed 250lbs and a 260lbs friend of mine took the boat out it instantly planned out. Just make sure no one tries to use it to climb back in the boat because it'll snap.
                              This is the one I used(on a 55hp motor)

Comment

Working...
                              X