Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Navy is cracking down on important things

US Navy to drop 'rude' all-caps messages
    The tradition started in the 19th century, when teletype machines did not have lowercase letters.
    By Kim Peterson 6 hours ago
    Internet users hate reading anything in all capital letters. It's the digital equivalent of shouting, a faux pas that's considered the height of online rudeness.

The U.S. Navy, however, has been communicating in all caps since the 19th century. And it's been a little jarring for young sailors especially to see capital letters used in orders and other official messages.

So the Navy is dropping all caps to make its communications "more readable and less rude," reports The Wall Street Journal -- which cheekily decided to write up the situation in all capital letters.

A Navy official told The Journal that the decision will save money. It's part of a new, cost-effective messaging system that comes online in August. "If an ancillary benefit is that sailors reading message traffic no longer feel they're being screamed at. . . that's a good thing, too," the official added.

Other units of the military still use all-caps, and other officers are hoping the rest of the Pentagon follows the Navy's example.

This is not an example of the Navy going soft, The Journal reports. "Only now is the Navy acknowledging that the rest of the world has embraced lowercase letters and that all-caps messages are deeply annoying," the newspaper added.

Fucking generation can't even stand all caps. The puscification of our society is running rampant.

Comment

This is news worthy? What the fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by diablo rojo View Post
        Fucking generation can't even stand all caps. The puscification of our society is running rampant.
        This is the "let's do it this way because it's always been done that way" piss poor logic that is rampant in the military. Have you ever read many, many pages of all caps orders? It's definitely easier when typed in a normal fashion. It's an insanely easy change, so why not?

This is the real question:
        Originally posted by Fatass
        This is news worthy? What the fuck.

Comment

I don't give a fuck if it's all caps or not. If they could just fix the syntax and line/page breaks to make message traffic remotely legible, that would be a huge step into the 20th century.
          "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

I FUCKING HATE ALL CAPS!!! oh wait,er...

Comment

When I read something in all caps my brain yells it. lol

Comment

While the story makes it seem like a bunch of pussies are the reason for the change, I will admit the all caps orders that I read were all a small pain in the ass. There is a good reason to change the format, but being a pussy is not it.
                I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by 2011GT View Post
                  When I read something in all caps my brain yells it. lol
                  I thought i was the only one...

Comment

I think it's a good thing as it's easier to read for some reason. All caps just piss me off. Also of note, they're talking about doing away with branch specific camouflage and going one pattern which is another really good idea. We do not need 4 patterns for 4 branches that are all different.
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

i still write in all caps because of boot camp

Comment

I write in all caps on everything. Perhaps I should reevaluate.

Comment

break
                          Originally posted by MR EDD
                          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If they want to change it so it will be easier to read thats fine, but dont say becuase its rude... Makes the Navy look like a bunch of pussies lol.

Comment

As I understood it from being a RATT operator at the beginning of my military life - a lot of these choices were made and maintained more due to alleviating miscommunications. Just like when speaking numbers, you pronunciate them and say them in a different (compared to how taught in school...etc) manner.

Hell, mostly they are orders/information anyway. No problem with them being yelled.
                              Originally posted by MR EDD
                              U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                              X