Racist Spanish Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racist Spanish Class

An African American teacher at a high school in the Bronx claims she was fired for using the word "negro" in Spanish class, according to a lawsuit she filed arguing the whole situation was a misunderstanding.

Petrona Smith, 65, was a non-tenured Spanish teacher at P.S. 211 in the Bronx when she was dismissed in March 2012. A seventh-grade student in the class reportedly took offense at the term, believing the word to be a racial slur. It's not clear if Smith directed the term at the student, but whatever the case, he reported the incident to school officials.

Smith maintains that she used the word because she was giving a lesson about colors and "negro" is Spanish for "black."

"They haven’t even accounted for how absurd it is for someone who’s black to be using a racial slur to a student," Shaun Reid, Smith's attorney, told the New York Post. "Talk about context! There's a lot of things wrong here."

When she was fired, Smith was also accused of calling her students "failures." But that, too, was a misunderstanding, she said.

Smith had allegedly asked students who had failed a test to move to the back of the room, but says she never called them failures, according to court papers.

__________________________________________________ _______________

The initial situation is ridiculous. The attorney's statement just pissed me off. Sorry, if you're black it's absurd for you to be using a racial slur! I do not agree with either party.
    Originally posted by Buzzo
    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Bronx = dumbfucks

Comment

Damn Nay Nays
      Street car.

Comment

Wow. Just wow
        99 Mustang Project JSTA2V
        going from really slow to just alittle slow

2013 Focus ST the daily cruising the 4 banger

Comment

Those students need to be learning ebonics instead of spanish anyway.

Comment

Same thing with the Zimmerman case. The media and everyone supporting the dead individual were doing nothing but profiling Zimmerman and trying to find anything remotely close to him being a racist. Now that the shoe is on the other foot with all the dead individual's background coming up...

Comment

that kid didn't like that teacher and found a "loop hole" in the system. i honestly believe that getting "offended" is a way for a person to get what they want. if it is something you don't like, them look away, change the channel or ignore it, as long as it's not a danger to anyone. everyone says we, as American's, need to learn the spanish language, but now they want to complain about the words they use. it's all stupid to me.

Comment

Not so fun when they become party to the political correctness they have forced on us for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                  "They haven’t even accounted for how absurd it is for someone who’s black to be using a racial slur.
                  Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  Not so fun when they become party to the political correctness they have forced on us for so long.
                  Regardless of the intent of the word how in the fuck is it absurd? I don't get where black people think that they are incapable of being racist.

However it does sound like a pathetic firing.

Comment

Originally posted by snacksnack View Post
                    Regardless of the intent of the word how in the fuck is it absurd? I don't get where black people think that they are incapable of being racist.
                    According to "modern and accepting" people, blacks are incapable of being racist. Damn, I'm racist just by being white.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DriveWayBuilt View Post
                      Damn Nay Nays
                      I don't see any bet welchers , but if you're referring to black people as naynays take your racist ass somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                        I don't see any bet welchers , but if you're referring to black people as naynays take your racist ass somewhere else.
                        I think he is talking about race-baiting, but I'm not sure.

sigpic

Comment

The whole this is stupid. This country does nothing but bend over for everyone and screw those who built it! /thread

Comment

Negro the Monday and negro the color aren't even pronounced the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmd View Post
                              The whole this is stupid. This country does nothing but bend over for everyone and screw those who built it! /thread
                              Someone needs an English class or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X