No announcement yet.

Guitar guys, come in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll kick you in the dick if you sell it.

Blues are most definitely my thing, and I assure you that its awkward sound has a place here.

I want to learn the banjo and play the blues with one, if that helps you feel my point.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
      Get rid of a mint Jazzmaster for a flashy Strat?

Friggin' Christ, man.
      Yea, it's all about instant gratification but then having to deal with a lifetime of regret. Oh to be young again. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
        I'll kick you in the dick if you sell it.

Blues are most definitely my thing, and I assure you that its awkward sound has a place here.

I want to learn the banjo and play the blues with one, if that helps you feel my point.
        That jazzmaster in stock form is a great blues guitar. just need the right amp combo to go with it.

As you can tell i love old fender guitars. I am not some purist saying to keep it original, but dont over mod it that it cant be put back. One day youll miss its sound and want it back.

Comment

I told you to keep it! Remember the Cobra???
          Doug

90 LX Coupe 5.0
          90 7up Vert. 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
            Do not ever sell that guitar. Ever you hear me.

The soap bars are prob shot. I'd put a set of new pickups in it and the sound change will be amazing.
            x2

The sentimental nature of it would be incentive to invest in a nice wall mount enclosure (as in completely enclosed / climate controlled with glass front). That would look dope too.

Get that $4k from work or something else, and I like your idea about the tribute strat with all the bells and whistles.

That would make TWO extremely special instruments connecting multiple generations (and you're now playing the strat like you want to be), the beginning of a legacy that you could continue passing down...

FWIW I own like 10 guitars, perhaps I'm a bit of a guitar hoarder now!

I've got a 50th anniversary American tobacco sunburst w/ rosewood fret board if you are interested, I'd probably sell it, sounds killer and all original including original fender hard case.

--Scott

Comment

Keep it, at least for the sentimental value. It'll always remind you of your gramps and you'll miss it immediately after you sell it. I used to have a shitty ass Ibanez RG200 and this pothead in San Marcos would come over and rock the shit out of Hendrix on it. It's not always the guitar...it's the man. I went to that assholes apartment once, and all he had was a $200 Squire.
              "Any dog under 50lbs is a cat and cats are pointless." - Ron Swanson

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                Do not ever sell that guitar. Ever you hear me.

The soap bars are prob shot. I'd put a set of new pickups in it and the sound change will be amazing.
                This! Your grandfather's guitar is irreplaceable. If you sell it, you'll regret it and spend the rest of your life looking for it. Save your money and buy a custom, but don't ever sell this one.

Comment

My advice after playing/owning vintage amps for 20+ years = don't change ONE thing on that guitar. And please don't change out the electronics (pickups, pots, wiring, hit the pots with a soldering gun, etc.). That guitar is worth the most money exactly as you have it. And I'd bet anything it's worth at least $5k today.

Have it appraised again. The soapbars can be made to come alive with different amp settings ... as long as you accept that it will never sound lke a guitar with hot humbuckers. It's what it is, you know?

Comment

Do not sell it.

Just save up and get the guitar you want. The fact that it doesn't fit the SRV or Hendrix sound you want will not matter.... and truthfully that sound comes from a style of play and from the fingers.... not the equipment. You will regret selling that guitar man.
                    1993 Vibrant Red Cobra #1741.

If you want more inches - Stroke it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kobuzz View Post
                      Is this even a real question???

Comment

My grandfather was my best friend growing up and the few things I have from him are so special to me I wouldn't let them go for anything in the world . The choice is yours but remember you can never replace it once its gone , just like him .
                        Big Rooster Racing

Comment

Magic Slim got it done just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
                            Get rid of a mint Jazzmaster for a flashy Strat?

Friggin' Christ, man.
                            My thoughts exactly.

As almost everyone else has said, you will never be able to replace it, and will regret selling it almost immediately. I really can't believe this is even a thought in your mind. To sell something that you claim is sentimental would just be disrespectful to your grandfather.

Comment

Do not sell it or modify it in a way that is irreversible. If you swap PU's, do not do any routing or body mods, and keep the original PU's. I have several older guitars, and even swapping out the tuners can affect the value. One day, you may have a daughter/son that would cherish that like the "holy grail" it is, and they would be shattered to know it was in your grasp. One of my proudest possessions is my '71 Gibson Southern Jumbo that my dad bought new.

Comment

Think of it like this....if you currently had enough money in the bank to buy that Strat....would you still sell this one to fund the Strat?

If the answer is no, then put this one away and buy the Strat once you can afford it. I've been playing for most of my life as well, and I will tell you first hand that your style and taste is going to change over the years as you get older.

This one may not be your style right now....that likely won't always be the case, though...and you'll never get it back once it's gone.
                                70' Chevelle RagTop
                                (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Working...
                                X