My cousin needs some help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 71chevellejohn View Post
    I guess I'm just lucky to have almost 300k on my 08 and no burning oil and I average 8-10k between M1 oil changes.
    i hope my engine lasts that long!!

Comment

I hate working on GM shit, they getting about as sorry as dodge junk.

Comment

... like a knock...

Comment

Does anyone know if the active fuel management can be tuned out?

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
            Did the 2007 have the "AFM" 5.3? Do some research ...almost all of the earlier 5.3 AFM (active fuel management) aluminim motors burn crazy amounts of oil. The more highway driving the more oil you will burn. If under factory warranty they will first do an oil consumption test. If it shows to lose excessive amounts of oil the dealership will try a few different things including oil baffles, valve covers, rings, pistons etc. According to some research...none of these are garunteed to permanently fix the problem...sometimes they work and sometimes they don't.

The problem is oil deposits in the dead cylinders causing rings to stick when the AFM is active.

Shitty GM products will always be shitty GM products.

2011 Ecoboost-3600 miles since last oil change and not a drop of oil consumed. (60k miles on the clock)
            2013 Ford 5.0 - 3000 miles since last oil change and not a drop of oil consumed.

Chevy- "It is normal to burn a qt or so every 1000 miles".
            My chicks '13 5.0 F150 just got its first oil change and it was a quart low after it's first 5000 miles....
            --Marcus

Comment

The '02 Z71 pickup I had with 275k miles didn't burn a drop of oil. I bet you anything they did not change the pistons, rings, and bearings. I'm pretty sure that's a load of BS
              Originally posted by Buzzo
              Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                Yes it can be deactivated.

It may not be a bad idea to look into eliminating the mechanical components of the system at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                  From what I read, yes, it can. You can also replace the lifters and a few other internal parts to completely remove the AFM. I have an 07 GMC with the AFM/DoD and I'm really close to getting a tune to disable it. I seem to have the same problem with losing about 1-1.5 qts of oil between oil changes. Now that I think about it, I need to look up the manufacture suggested interval for oil changes. I waited for the dash alert to let me know the oil life was low and that went almost 10K miles!

I was on one of the Chevy sites and there's a guy on there that sells chips with it disabled. Others on there that has the chip/tune also state they're getting better gas mileage.

Comment

Working...
                  X