2.5" tubing trailer hitch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.5" tubing trailer hitch?

So I was going to hook up the trailer to the F250 for the first time to find out they dont use a standard 2" hitch like almost everyone else does. The truck has a 2.5" square tube hitch. Anyone know where I can find one locally? I tried Autozone and Oreillys and they only carry 2". Oreillys had an adapter but it wouldnt work because the pin hole if not in the right spot. And why in the hell would Ford use a 2.5" hitch?

Towing capacity is the only thing I can think of
    Scott Ganow
    Lone Star Performance
    16300 Midway Rd
    Addison, TX 75001
    214-630-5006

Comment

u haul? northern tool?
      http://dfwdirtriders.com/ New Website for the off road peeps

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
        So I was going to hook up the trailer to the F250 for the first time to find out they dont use a standard 2" hitch like almost everyone else does. The truck has a 2.5" square tube hitch. Anyone know where I can find one locally? I tried Autozone and Oreillys and they only carry 2". Oreillys had an adapter but it wouldnt work because the pin hole if not in the right spot. And why in the hell would Ford use a 2.5" hitch?
        That's odd, every truck I've owned had the standard 2". I'd honestly try amazon, free two day shipping with a prime membership

Comment

There is a sleeve that you put in to use a standard 2".
          "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Tractor supply

Comment

There is a 2.5" to 2" reducer sleeve on amazon for 13.99 and comes with free shipping if you are a prime member

Comment

It probably has a 10k or 12k pound hitch on it, I think that's where they go to a 2 1/2" reciever.

Comment

Thanks guys, the sleeve would work but Id rather just have the proper ball mount. Uhaul only had 2" stuff. Looks like Northern Tool has some on their website.

Oh, and far as weight, there are class V 2" hitches. Etrailer has a one that is solid steel rather than box tube...Bet that bastard is heavy.

edit/// Northern Tool doesnt carry it locally, Tractor Supply doesnt seem to have any.

Comment

Buy the sleeve , don't be the guy who needs to put a drop hitch in but can't. I've borrowed hitches several times, and loaned them out. You won't be able to do that without the sleeve . That is what people do, and thus the reason you can't find a 2.5" locally.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

The problem with that, there is conflicting stories of the sleeves fitting these damn trucks. Whoever the manufacturer of the hitch used a nonstandard tubing. THere is a chance it will take a hammer to get the sleeve in...if that is the case, that shit aint coming out.

edit/// And Ford fucking adapter sleeve (guaranteed to fit) is $54. This is just pushing me to get a damn gooseneck trailer rather than a bumper pull
                      Last edited by 8mpg; 05-19-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Whoever the manufacturer of the hitch used a nonstandard tubing..
                        I'd say Chinese crap but they buy all their steel here...Tractor supply should have what you need

Comment

The problem with that, there is conflicting stories of the sleeves fitting these damn trucks. Whoever the manufacturer of the hitch used a nonstandard tubing. THere is a chance it will take a hammer to get the sleeve in...if that is the case, that shit aint coming out.

edit/// And Ford fucking adapter sleeve (guaranteed to fit) is $54. This is just pushing me to get a damn gooseneck trailer rather than a bumper pull
                          You should either way over think this, or quit being cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron View Post
                            You should either way over think this, or quit being cheap.
                            Not overthinking...just rationalizing the pain in the ass that it is...read some reviews on amazon about the adapters and how they dont fit. Id rather buy a $60 class V solid steel one rather than an adapter for the same price.

I just ordered the 2.5" Reese hitch for $70 shipped prime...hope it fits.

Comment

my '12 has 3 sleeves that are pinned into the receiver.. presumably for whichever size hitch you're hooking up to.

go steal one off skips lot.

Comment

Working...
                              X