No announcement yet.

Fort Worth police chief fires his former chief of staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtime isn' t really much of an attraction to me, as my time off from work is more valuable than putting in extra hours. Benefits other than pay were a major reason I took the job oh so many years ago, and it's been a good place to work and most of the other employees have been great to work with. I have just under a year of sick leave banked, which can be credited toward my work tenure period for retirement. Looking to retire in the summer of 2015 if all goes well in the meantime.

Did Fort Worth make their cuts in retirement benefits retroactive to long-term officers such as yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by The King View Post
      Overtime isn' t really much of an attraction to me, as my time off from work is more valuable than putting in extra hours. Benefits other than pay were a major reason I took the job oh so many years ago, and it's been a good place to work and most of the other employees have been great to work with. I have just under a year of sick leave banked, which can be credited toward my work tenure period for retirement. Looking to retire in the summer of 2015 if all goes well in the meantime.

Did Fort Worth make their cuts in retirement benefits retroactive to long-term officers such as yourself?
      Yes, I believe it's going to be a bifurcated retirement whereas my first 22 years will be high 3 average, and the last 3 will be high 5. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but according to the calculator on the city intranet, I will have to work an additional 3.8 years to get the same retirement I would have on the old system.

Comment

At least you get something. I have been a salaried employee without opportunity for any overtime pay for the last 14 years. Sometimes I have worked well in excess of 40 hours a week, but others much less. For 6-7 years nobody kept track of my time off at all, I did on my own. Granted, I had 20 days vacation, 5 personal days, and 20 sick days a year, and never really took them all. I will also acknowledge that I also always and only worked longer hours when I needed to, without it being obligatory.

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
          Yes, I believe it's going to be a bifurcated retirement whereas my first 22 years will be high 3 average, and the last 3 will be high 5. I'm not sure how they are going to do it, but according to the calculator on the city intranet, I will have to work an additional 3.8 years to get the same retirement I would have on the old system.
          So far ours remains high 3, although since my pay has been frozen for the past three years and appears likely to remain that way, if it goes to high 5 it won't really make any difference. It sucks that the city retroactively changed the terms of your arrangement by reneging on their commitment made when you started, but that seems to be fact of life today.

Originally posted by Chili View Post
          At least you get something. I have been a salaried employee without opportunity for any overtime pay for the last 14 years. Sometimes I have worked well in excess of 40 hours a week, but others much less. For 6-7 years nobody kept track of my time off at all, I did on my own. Granted, I had 20 days vacation, 5 personal days, and 20 sick days a year, and never really took them all. I will also acknowledge that I also always and only worked longer hours when I needed to, without it being obligatory.
          I put in a lot of unpaid hours the first 10-15 years I worked. Now though I only do so when I travel, because work travel lost its luster for me a long time ago.

Comment

I put in a lot of unpaid hours the first 10-15 years I worked. Now though I only do so when I travel, because work travel lost its luster for me a long time ago.
            I used to work over a LOT and never put in for OT or comp time until I figured out I'm just an employee number.

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
              How long did it take him to be arrested? Are you saying this guy was arrested for this period of time and not paid?
              old thread i know but i am curious how you'd spin this story...

Comment

So, they're still getting computer evidence of a video crime. Should be and probably will be dishonorably discharged (far worse than what is happening to this cop as his entire future employment will consist of menial jobs that don't do background checks) and they're trying to contact the people in the videos. Got it. Videos are as bad as DWI's.

No spin. He should be handed dishonorable discharge, imprisioned and made to pay restitution to those he caused injury to.

Or am I supposed to change my point of view because it's a soldier?
                I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I actually was curious about where this took almost a year (all while being paid)to arrest him even though they had enough evidence. You usually bring up where officers get to ride a desk until they are actually found guilty.

Comment

Working...
                  X