No announcement yet.

Rise in US shale oil reserves is about to change the global balance of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise in US shale oil reserves is about to change the global balance of power

But it's still a good idea to turn our food into fuel and keep pushing the shitty E10 / E15 blend fuels?

A sharp rise in shale oil reserves is set to turn the US into a net exporter of oil, hitting demand for supplies from the Middle East, a report says.

US shale oil supply shock shifts global power balance

A steeper-than-expected rise in US shale oil reserves is about to change the global balance of power between new and existing producers, a report says. Over the next five years, the US will account for a third of new oil supplies, according to the International Energy Agency (IEA). The US will change from the world's leading importer of oil to a net exporter. Demand for oil from Middle-East oil producers is set to slow as a result.

"North America has set off a supply shock that is sending ripples throughout the world," said IEA executive director Maria van der Hoeven. The surge in US production will reshape the whole industry, according to the IEA, which made the prediction in its closely-watched bi-annual report examining trends in oil supply and demand over the next five years. The IEA said it expected the US to overtake Russia as the world's biggest gas producer by 2015 and to become "all but self-sufficient" in its energy needs by about 2035. The rise in US production means the world's reliance on oil from traditional oil producing countries in the Middle East, which make up Opec (the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries), would end soon, according to the report.

Slower growth

US production is set to grow by 3.9 million barrels of oil per day (bpd) from 2012 to 2018, accounting for some two-thirds of the predicted growth in traditional non-Opec production, according to the IEA. Meanwhile, global oil demand is set to increase by 8% which would be met mainly by non-Opec supplies, the report saidnThe IEA still expects production capacity among traditional Opec suppliers in the Middle East to continue to grow over the next five years, but at a slower rate.

Opec capacity, which counts for 35% of today's global oil output, is expected to rise by 1.75 million bpd to 36.75 million bpd in 2018, about 750,000 bpd less than predicted in the IEA's 2012 forecast. The IEA cites the "growing insecurity in North and Sub-Saharan Africa" in the wake of the Arab Spring uprisings as a key reason for the slowdown. "The regional fallout from the 'Arab Spring' is taking a toll on investment and capacity growth," the IEA said.

Fracking

The sharp rise in US oil production is largely thanks to shale oil, a product many have hailed as the saviour of the US energy market. Fracking, the process of blasting water at high pressure into shale rock to release oil (or gas) held within it, has become widespread in the US. But critics of shale oil point to environmental concerns such as high water use and possible water contamination, the release of methane and, to a lesser extent, earth tremors caused by drilling. The process has been banned in France, while the UK recently lifted a moratorium on drilling for shale gas.

In before QIK46 tells everyone to invest in NatGas

then why is my gas still $3.50+ a gallon...

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
      All the oil in the world isn't worth shit if you don't have enough refineries to process it.
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Because we've been fucked into complacency and they know they can charge that much.

Which also lends to the news today that oil reserves hit their highest since 1931 - back when companies were trying to figure out ways to burn the shit. The rules of supply and demand have shit the bed.

Comment

This is so good for the family business it is unbelievable. Up in ND there is money oozing between the fucking sidewalks. You can hand a guy a card and start a new 20 truck account. It is going so fucking nuts that we opened a satellite shop up there just to handle the new accounts and service the fleet (all the dealerships are swamped as fuck).
          Originally posted by lincolnboy
          After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

So does that mean you'll be building a mansion in Sydney sometime soon?

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
              So does that mean you'll be building a mansion in Sydney sometime soon?
              Hell no, Sydney sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by DOHCTR View Post
                Hell no, Sydney sucks.
                So where are you going to be building that mansion?

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post
                  So where are you going to be building that mansion?
                  Shit I don't know. My father said if this immigration reform gets passed and all the illegals become registered democrats overnight he is packing up and coming to Melbourne.

Comment

This is so good for the family business it is unbelievable. Up in ND there is money oozing between the fucking sidewalks. You can hand a guy a card and start a new 20 truck account. It is going so fucking nuts that we opened a satellite shop up there just to handle the new accounts and service the fleet (all the dealerships are swamped as fuck).
                    This is the truth, hell walmart is offering 22.00 a hr to start. I have took some load up there and been offered crazy money to quit and work there.
                    One guy was talking 2500+ a week. And VERY good benifits. And never have to get out of the cab. Pull up they load/unload and go.
                    work three weeks he would fly me home for a week paid. If I was single and not rooted here I would be gone in a sec.
                    There are going to be so many multimillionaires there its going to be crazy.
                    Coter if you can work on big engines you can fill in the blanks on a blank check.

Comment

Where I'm at is being called the Saudi Arabia of Natural gas. It's a Revolution and a hotbed of innovation of new technology.

The Marcellus Shale, a 600-mile formation brimming with natural gas, is wedging itself into the conversation of the U.S. energy boom.

Comment

If and when we get rid of the failure in charge and given a chance this country will explode in wealth, and jobs.

Comment

Shit I don't know. My father said if this immigration reform gets passed and all the illegals become registered democrats overnight he is packing up and coming to Melbourne.
                          I think any new legislation will get swallowed up with the shit hitting the fan.

Comment

Because they figured out the price the people will pay without throwing a major fit.

Comment

because the cost to get it has increased! it takes more energy now to produce the energy that comes from the ground. also you need to factor in world demand especially asia as they are growing and will continue. you also have world economies that get alot of their income from oil such as saudi arabia. the people are wanting better lifestyles and since oil is their means of generating money they will manipulate prices to sustain their economies.

Comment

Working...
                              X