Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine Legislature Moves to Ban E15 Gasoline

Good on you, Maine.

If it can go in your gas tank, it's potentially controversial up in Maine. A few years ago, out-of-spec gas pumps were a problem. Today, the issue is the corn-based biofuel ethanol, which the state legislature is taking a strong stand against. Citing potential engine and environmental damages, Maine's state legislature has taken another step to potential rid itself of ethanol blends into its gasoline inventory.

Legislators have approved a bill by more than a 3-to-1 margin that would ban ethanol blends in Maine – as long as two other nearby states do the same, the Bangor Daily News reports. State leaders also supported a resolution urging the government to ban gasoline with a 15 percent ethanol blend (known as E15), altogether. Most gasoline in the US contains up to 10 percent ethanol blend.

Maine regulators started talking about a statewide E15 ban early this year. The state said at the time that at least two other New England states would have to go along so that Maine refiners wouldn't have to make a custom blend for the state only, which would cause the state's fuel prices to jump.

On the federal level, the word is that E15 is fine. Last June, the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) officially allowed for public sales of E15 as part of an effort to cut foreign-oil dependency. Groups such as AAA have since been critical of the EPA's decision, saying that E15 would cause engine damage as well as food shortages. E15 has been sold in some states since the middle of 2012, starting in Kansas, and there have not been any widespread reports of problems with the biofuel but it's not being sold just like any other fuel.

Replacement fuel-system parts sales, O2 sensor sales, catalytic convertor sales, and sales of "ethanol treatment" additives have skyrocketed since E10 hit the market. It would be safe to assume that the trend will step up when/if E15 comes into widespread use.
    Oh, and FTEPA.
    "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Does diesel contain any ethanol blend?

Comment

Originally posted by helosailor View Post
        Oh, and FTEPA.
        This
        '93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
        '13 Dodge Cummins
        '14 Rubicon X

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
          Does diesel contain any ethanol blend?
          No
          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

May contain biofuel
            1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

I sure hope Texas follows suit.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

I just worked on 3 mowers where the fuel lines had collapsed internally and gummed solid. When I cut the line with a pocket knife, you could dig out the gummy center and roll it around in your fingers like panel adhesive.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  I just worked on 3 mowers where the fuel lines had collapsed internally and gummed solid. When I cut the line with a pocket knife, you could dig out the gummy center and roll it around in your fingers like panel adhesive.
                  Shit. 4 stroke? This is one of the reasons I switch to a cordless electric trimmer, because of constant problems with my trimmer motors because of what I guess was fuel.
                  "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                  "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Torinoman View Post
                    May contain biofuel
                    Isn't biofuel diesel still diesel for the most part. It isn't like Ethanol that is totally different from gasoline and can destroy and engine

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                      Luckily I can still get no ethanol gas at several stations. It is all I'll use. I had problems with a near new stihl blower fouling plugs every other use. I made a conscious effort to run non ethanol and haven't had a problem.

Comment

e85!
                        www.hppmotorsports.com
                        ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt Beavis View Post
                          Isn't biofuel diesel still diesel for the most part. It isn't like Ethanol that is totally different from gasoline and can destroy and engine
                          Yes but it has it's own issues, as in it's a way better solvent than ULSD. A tank of bio in a truck that has been running regular diesel for 50k miles will likely have injector problems. You can't just go from one to the other like you can with ethanol additives. It's actually better at lubricating the fuel system stuff though so your injector pump will last longer and run quieter.

Comment

I'm guessing fuel treatment/additives are necessary these days every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip McNeely View Post
                              I'm guessing fuel treatment/additives are necessary these days every so often.
                              I average 2mpg city & 4mpg hwy better mileage when I run Lucas ethanol treatment versus no additive.
                              "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                              X