The old days of file sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The old days of file sharing

You guys remember the old days of file sharing? I was talking to a buddy about when I was 14-15 and Napster was the rage, P2P sharing was huge. Then Divx was released which brought on a whole new world of ripping DVD's to CDR's. There was a big competition to see which release group could put out software and movies the fastest. File hosting sites were popping up left and right. I was on a board where a member wrote a program to register thousands of accounts on these sites, the program would grab the .rar files and upload them to an indexed set of accounts and others could download from it. These people were very motivated from curiosity and fun. Then the days of people hacking corporate servers to upload files for others to download.

Those were the days... Saw a link to this:

Brought back some memories.

The "underworld" has brought on some amazing ideas and technology. I was always impressed a social hierarchy formed and there was (and still is) a governance of proper ripping of music and movies.

Ares FTW.

Comment

I used to download so much stuff from IRC back in the day.

Comment

That seems like a lifetime ago.

Comment

I was a late adopter to personal use technology. I mean, for work purposes I was using some form of computer starting in the Army in 1993, but didn't even own a PC personally until early 2000. Even up to today I have never bought the "current" versions of computers, gaming systems, etc.. I buy the stuff that was hot a year or two ago that costs half, or less, of what the hot shit costs. One of my brothers and several family members got into it really early on, I was just too busy being outside and doing shit..

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
            I was just too busy talking to notice what was going on around me.
            Ftfy
            Originally posted by BradM
            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
            Originally posted by Leah
            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              Ftfy
              That's so old and overused. Jesus man, come up with something original!

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                That's so old and overused. Jesus man, come up with something original!

lol

tl;dr

Comment

i have to ask Jr if i want to do anything other than login to dfwmustangs.

god bless.
                  It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Old days of file sharing... I thought you meant swapping 360k 5.25 floppy disks.
                    Last edited by Leah; Yesterday at 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by propellerhead View Post
                      Old days of file sharing... I thought you meant swapping 360k 5.25 floppy disks.
                      I do remember hanging out at the public library in the 80's and copying games from others on those.. Right when the "IBM" format started getting big as opposed to Apple.

Comment

i remeber PR Server 1,2,3 etc, on AOL.. then Cervers... i would setup Soylent green and send warez out on aol 2.5 for days!

we had a bunch of bots on the popular mIRC channels so we'd take over random rooms and turn them into server parties too.. +o me lol!

Comment

Hey, GE, !fileserver

Comment

Hey cruz, I dare you to press the button..:-D

Comment

Pirate bay ap
                              bit torent ap
                              Everything is free

Comment

Working...
                              X