No announcement yet.

Are you invested in the market?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as "the market", we've got my 401(k), the wife's Roth 403(b), a few dollars in E-trade I dabble in, and 1 share of Ford Motor Company my wife paid to much for (as a gift).

We're right at 1x at the age of 26, but then again we don't make that much so its nothing to brag about.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
    -Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I will be 30 in July. My savings is pathetic to say the least. I start my new job on the 20th. With company match I will be putting ~$4k a year into 401k and will finally be able to build a savings

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
      Originally posted by Leah
      Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Nope.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
          Furthermore, one commonly used guideline says that individuals should have 1x their household income in savings/retirement accounts by age 35, 2x by age 40, and 3x by age 45. How do you compare to these benchmarks?
          My 2 cents on this.

That's bullshit. I can think of many reasons someone wouldn't be able to come up with a saved/invested number like that (children, divorce, single income, lawsuits, etc). And I can think of a bunch of other reasons someone would have that kind of money stashed away without being a diligent saver/investor (inheritance, gifts, divorce, "DINK", lawsuits, etc).

In my own situation, I'm just slightly short of that number at 36 and I don't see me making those marks at 40 and 45. Plus I really don't give a shit about having a huge number socked away. I guess I should start caring, I ain't gettin no younger. Maybe after I pay off the Mustang, lmao.
          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

I voted no, mainly because it is less than 3% of my net worth. I don''t own a lot of gold/silver, but it is more than that as a percentage.

Comment

Aesop's ant and grasshopper, FTW.
              Jay Johnson
              Car hauler for hire

Comment

It's impossible to predict how the income earning environment will change.
                Currently, folks aged 50+ that drop out of the workforce(for whatever reasons) are having a very difficult time getting employment, and when they do, the pay numbers take a hit.

A person needs to stay ahead of the savings game at all times, due to the changing environment that can affect earning power. I observe many times, a hit to earning power is a reset that affects people the rest of their lives.
                Jay Johnson
                Car hauler for hire

Comment

Furthermore, one commonly used guideline says that individuals should have 1x their household income in savings/retirement accounts by age 35, 2x by age 40, and 3x by age 45. How do you compare to these benchmarks?
                  well Im 35, have about 3k in a 401k... so Id say Im a little behind.

Comment

I'm behind the curve. I like spending money now.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                      In between 1 and 2x at 26.
                      Same, but I just turned 27. Someone get us our choo choo drivin licenses!

Comment

Originally posted by jayjohnson600 View Post
                        Aesop's ant and grasshopper, FTW.
                        I like Futurama's take on it better.

"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. Then the winter came, and the grasshopper died, and the octopus ate all his acorns and also he got a racecar... Is any of this getting through to you?"" - Phillip J. Fry - Futurama
                        Last edited by sc281; 05-09-2013, 05:00 PM. Reason: Added the quote

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                          Same, but I just turned 27. Someone get us our choo choo drivin licenses!
                          What makes you think I don't? I buy the trailers and rent 'em back to the railroad, and then have them pay me to drive em!

That's where the ballin' money is at!

Comment

I like Futurama's take on it better.
                            Too bad he's banned.
                            Originally posted by davbrucas
                            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Too bad he's banned.
                              I see what you did there.

Comment

I see what you did there.
                                Hell, now he's back.
                                Originally posted by davbrucas
                                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Working...
                                X