Any home appraisers out there?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any home appraisers out there?...

I've been entertaining a refinance on my house b/c I've been stupid and riding a much higher rate since December of 06', when I built the place....but even more-so because I've been planning to build a shop and would like to take a little cash out to do-so....knowing that I've actually added a lot of equity to the place since I built it.

Some details...

- Built the house in 06'...carried my own construction loan and therefore ended up with a good rate once converted (for the time) however...

- A refinance today would net me ~2.49% in the green.

- Since the time that I built the place I have 90% completed a previously unfinished space (media/game room) that is ~980 sqft, and also adds a 1/2 bath and additional office....not a BS office either....nice shit all built-in, video surveillance hub for the entire property, somewhat hidden like a panic room, etc. (Yup...I'm weird like that....AR and various other "long rifles" now reside in that room ).

- We built the house right at $100/sqft, and at the time the builder quoted $80K more to finish out said room above. That was cheap on a price per sqft view, but I've contracted and also done a lot myself to bring that down a lot more in the past couple years.

- Houses in my area are ALL selling <30-days on market.....all between $114-$118/sqft.

So the finance broker sends some totally fucking asshole appraiser out here today who tells me he cannot and will not give me ANY credit for the 980sq/ft + office + 1/2 bath that I've added on to my house, because I haven't yet carpeted that area and I also need to finish out some trim (mostly base board after I have it carpeted). Doesn't matter that EVERYTHING else is done, and I've spent ~$45K in electrical, HVAC, insulation, drywall, paint, fixtures, built-ins, etc, etc. This dipshit is trying to tell me it is all or nothing for this space to be included in the home appraisal....and he wouldn't include this entire space simply because we don't yet have it carpeted!

I haven't laid carpet b/c we are still building the bar (a really fucking nice one at that), and we are putting some stone in some areas. We'll need to finish out the base boards after the carpet is in, of course.

So bottom line...this dick is telling me that my house is worth the same money I built it for in 06', even after I have (documented) tens of thousands in improvements, which happen to include a (uncarpeted) 980sq/ft worth of 3 new rooms that are heated, cooled, painted, etc....I won't even begin to talk about the concrete work with RV hookups, landscaping, security system, over-sized garage, etc, etc.

Bottom line....I've watched several of my neighbors walk with a big profit, I have the second biggest home in the neighborhood that has grown and is nicer curb appeal, street, etc...yet my shit is worth way less than everyone else? ...worth the same price per sqft that we paid ~7 years ago even after +980sqft and tons of upgrades.

Any apprisers care to explain to me how this works....or was this guy just an idiot??

BTW - I asked him to leave after a small argument...then he bowed up on me...at which point I told him he'd better leave. That was about the only smart thing this idiot did in the 30 or so minutes he was here. I'm really normally a pretty nice guy in person, but I was about to tear an arm off this fucker.
    70' Chevelle RagTop
    (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

FNMA has very specific guidelines as to what can be considered livable space. Bare concrete is not acceptable for flooring. You should finish out those areas before having the house appraised (again).

Comment

have city do appraisal even though you'll get hit with higher taxes if your selling wont matter.

If you didn't get permits though might not be smart.

Comment

Well, I think it's flat stupid that everything except carpet disqualifies a space that is damned near the size of some folks entire house. By that logic I could've just carpeted my attic space and called it an add-on. I don't live in the city limits, but we were covered with permits and already paid taxes on the space last year anyway (will again this year), yet apparently that isn't good enough either....since this idiot said that taxed sq footage doesn't mean anything. Damn....Really?! I have to pay taxes on it, yet it is still invisible?? Wow.

Nevertheless, I'm pissed enough now that these dirt-bags can suck a dick on the refinance....I'll just pay cash for the shop instead. In the end I suppose it was a stupid idea to trade in some of my hard earned equity in the first place. I just prefer to maintain a nest egg in this economy, but apparently the lenders think otherwise.
        Last edited by Rreemo; 05-08-2013, 06:08 PM.
        70' Chevelle RagTop

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I can stain the floors for you real quick if you want

Just did Don's new house and came out looking awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by aCid View Post

Just did Don's new hobbit hole and came out looking awesome.
            Ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              Ftfy
              Oh fuck HAHAHA

Comment

Ftfy
                TRUTH! lmao

Comment

That sucks man..Id be pissed. Just throw some cheap ass carpet and baseboards in it. The refi alone will save you some big bucks.

Comment

It's upstairs, so it's wood not concrete...actually this add-on makes up the entire second floor. It's also being finished as a media room, so carpet is a must in the end. We could throw some carper in it on the quick, but I really don't prefer to halfass it that way...there's a few other things I want to do beforehand....
                    70' Chevelle RagTop

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
                      It's upstairs, so it's wood not concrete...actually this add-on makes up the entire second floor. It's also being finished as a media room, so carpet is a must in the end. We could throw some carper in it on the quick, but I really don't prefer to halfass it that way...there's a few other things I want to do beforehand....
                      We could always overlay it and stain it

Comment

Then finish the room, have it appraised, refinance...

Lenders have their rules for a reason.

Comment

how do you expect them to place a value on something not completed? there is no way to do that and keep it in line with comparable sales. I'm a mortgage underwriter and i would flat reject that appraisal if there was any value given to it. Its not "inhabitable". Its very black and white with the new appraisal regulations within the last few years. Blame FNMA not your broker or appraiser. they aren't gonna risk their licenses so you can build a shop.

Comment

They do look nice

Ftfy
                            ... fuck you!
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

that paneling sure looks nice

Comment

Working...
                              X