Electric Company Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Company Suggestions

Well, I have to pick an electrical provider soon. I have TXU where I rent now, but I move next month. I really don't know the pros and cons to with different companies, other than price.

I know about 1-2 times a year TXU sends me a gift card with about $40 on it, that's fun.
    DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Look at the base customer charge, a flat rate charged every month for the privilege of being a REP customer. Nearly all if not all of the REPs charge this now.

Look at the cost per kwh for a REP across their usage tiers. For instance, their advertised cost per kwh may only apply to usage above a certain threshold, like 2000 kwh, 2500 kwh, etc. I always try to pick one that charges the same across all monthly usage levels, or at least one that charges the least for my typical monthly usage.

Length of contract. They are usually issued for a period of one month, 6 months, 1 year, or more. Shorter is usually cheaper, but I never get a contract for less than a year on the assumption that, sooner or later, a major 'cane will hit the gulf and impact natty gas prices in a big way.

Comment

powertochoose.org
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        powertochoose.org
        /thread

Comment

I just re-upped with Amigo Energy at .085 per kwh. Was not a published rate, had to
          refuse all other offers before this one came up.

mardyn

Comment

Don't overlook the "Promotional Offers" tab on the www.powertochoose.org site. The last time I was changing providers the best offer for my situation turned out to be there. Surprising part was it was from a bugs & bunnies, tree-hugger, Obama green energy type of REP who touted their generation source as being 100% wind. Not there any more of course, but it's worth looking at while on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
              I just re-upped with Amigo Energy at .085 per kwh. Was not a published rate, had to
              refuse all other offers before this one came up.

mardyn
              I was about to post Amigo Energy. My boss is paying .075.

Comment

Can someone explain why you have to shop for power providers in DFW?

I see your power rate threads, and I cringe

Austin Energy, formerly City of Austin Electric, has been giving good rates for a long time. Recently, our city clowncil decided, in order to be the greenest city in the nation, that we would sign contracts to buy power from an east texas wood chip burning plant, or some such malarky, along with some wind energy. They are saying that our power bills will jump by 30%.

Last months bill was for 872KWH.
                First 500KWH was $.018
                Next 372KWH was $.056
                For a total of $29.83. That all sounds great, but then there's a power supply adjustment of 872KWH @ $.033, for another $29.40

Overall, that seems cheap to me.
                Ronald Reagan:"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Homer: "Bart...there's 2 things I know about women. Never give them nicknames like "jumbo" or "boxcar" and always keep receipts...it makes you look like a business man."

Comment

I have infinite energy and for a 4/2/2 1700sq ft my highest bill in the last 6 months has been $120 and my cheapest bill has been $99 rate is something like $.06 kwh

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post

Austin Energy, formerly City of Austin Electric, has been giving good rates for a long time. Recently, our city clowncil decided, in order to be the greenest city in the nation, that we would sign contracts to buy power from an east texas wood chip burning plant, or some such malarky, along with some wind energy. They are saying that our power bills will jump by 30%.

First 500KWH was $.018
                    Next 372KWH was $.056
                    For a total of $29.83. That all sounds great, but then there's a power supply adjustment of 872KWH @ $.033, for another $29.40

All part of deregulation that was going to increase competition therefore driving down prices ten years ago. Was bullshit then (and fucked us otherwise the power companies wouldn't have wanted it) but a little helpful now.

Just get on powertochoose.org and pick the best rate for the period you want. Hedge against huge spikes either way.

When power is out it is not like the are going to fix yours based on the rate. Another company/s fixes the transmission lines. Go low as you can when you can. Best time is when oil is way down you might get lucky and lock a 7.0ish for a year.

Like what was said before watch for minimum usage fees/rate no matter how low you burn. Or going over a set amount. I try and find no fees just charge me what I use at the lowest rate. Also remember when you start and end. If you go even a month over some companies will jack your shit way up since you are "unsigned"

Gl and excuse my iPad lack of typing skills.

Comment

Originally posted by barronj View Post

First 500KWH was $.018
                      Next 372KWH was $.056

At night, in Texas, your electricity is not green.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        I was about to post Amigo Energy. My boss is paying .075.
                        Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
                        I have infinite energy and for a 4/2/2 1700sq ft my highest bill in the last 6 months has been $120 and my cheapest bill has been $99 rate is something like $.06 kwh
                        Called Amigo, there lowest was like $.105 or something.
                        Didn't really budge.
                        I went with infinite, and got $.078 for three months. The longer contracts were actually more expensive

Amigo phone: pressed some numbers, got a woman who barely spoke English.
                        Hey, the names "amigo" not too surprised.

Infinite phone: didnt have to press shit. (assumed I spoke English, didn't have to press 1. First message was 'to report a power outage, press 1, otherwise someone will be right with you'. Same dude that picked up, sold me power. I like that.

DFWmustangs. Where more people make life decisions than probably should.
                        DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Comment

I just got a .082 plan for a year, I'm okay with that. Was cheaper than my month-to-month .140 rate I was apparently giving my last provider since my contract expired, assholes.
                          When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by HarrisonTX View Post
                            Called Amigo, there lowest was like $.105 or something.
                            Didn't really budge.
                            I went with infinite, and got $.078 for three months. The longer contracts were actually more expensive

Amigo phone: pressed some numbers, got a woman who barely spoke English.
                            Hey, the names "amigo" not too surprised.

Infinite phone: didnt have to press shit. (assumed I spoke English, didn't have to press 1. First message was 'to report a power outage, press 1, otherwise someone will be right with you'. Same dude that picked up, sold me power. I like that.

DFWmustangs. Where more people make life decisions than probably should.
                            Make sure you have something waiting after the 3 months. Hopefully ERCOT doesn't go crazy with the rolling black out bullshit when your 3 months is up.

Comment

i think im at .10, I'll have to check again, but i noticed with the power to choose you get the contract for 3 months.... I guess im too new to this to understand how this all works.

Comment

Working...
                              X