Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I transfer to?

So here is the short version:

After teaching CHL classes for a while, I decided to go back to school and pursue my true passion by studying to become a medical doctor. I am twenty-seven years old, very dedicated, and med school is my goal (namely UT Southwestern). Little background: 4.0GPA, Student Government Vice President, Honors Society Officer, STEM Scholar, etc, etc.... In other words, I treat school like it is my job, and I do not screw around or party.

To the point, I am about to transfer to a University to finish up my degree in Neuroscience, but I cannot decide which one. I applied to four schools and I was accepted in to each of them with varying levels of scholarships. The details are as follows:

Baylor University - $26,000 in Scholarship - Cost will be about $11,000 per year
    SMU - $26,000-Full Ride (waiting for interview) - Cost will be between $6,000 and $20,000 per year (depending on how interview goes)
    University of Texas - no scholarship offered to transfers - Cost will be about $10,000 per year for the first year (should go down after with in-house scholarships)
    UT Dallas - $6,000 in scholarships - Cost would be about $5,000 per year or less

Pros:
    Baylor has the best grading system
    UT has the lightest load (I have done all the prereqs)
    SMU has awesome research opportunities and tiny classes

Cons:
    UTD doesn't carry the same level of prestige
    Baylor is in Waco....who knows when a random explosion will happen Also forced religion classes while I am not at all religious
    UT will require a bit more math and is arguably the hardest of the four; also has giant classes
    SMU does not have my major, so I would have to adapt to Psychology w/ Biology.

I have all but ruled out UTD due to talking to numerous people about the school and mixed reviews about classroom sizes. I also had a bad experience with the honors director there, so that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyway, I will let you guys argue it out a bit. I just want to see what the DFWMustangs Bawlers think about Universities...hehe.
    Baylor University
    0%
    SMU
    0%
    University of Texas - Austin
    0%
    UT Dallas
    0%

I voted UT, just because I hate Baylor and SMU and UT Dallas is...well...UT Dallas. The UT professional network is FUCKING. HUGE. so you'll never have to worry about being out of a job if you are a decent interviewer and maintain a good GPA. Sometimes even those things don't matter.

Comment

Northlake
      Originally posted by talisman
      I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
      Originally posted by AdamLX
      If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
      Because fuck you, that's why
      Originally posted by 80coupe
      nice dick, Idrivea4banger
      Originally posted by Rick Modena
      ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
      Originally posted by Jester
      Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

Smu.
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
          Northlake
          Richland.
          Originally posted by davbrucas
          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
            Northlake
            Good people over there.

But yeah, I do not need a DCCCD Ph.D, even if they offered it...

Comment

I vote Johnny Hopkins. Me, him, and Sloan Kettering use to blaze that shit up every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Venix View Post
                Good people over there.

But yeah, I do not need a DCCCD Ph.D, even if they offered it...
                You're gonna do Ph.D?
                Originally posted by davbrucas
                I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

UT.

Comment

TCC NW campus.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                      You're gonna do Ph.D?
                      Going to get my MD actually. We just make jokes about people taking 8-10 years to finish at the DCCCD and often they only finish a certificate with minimal hours. Have to milk that government aid somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                        I voted UT, just because I hate Baylor and SMU and UT Dallas is...well...UT Dallas. The UT professional network is FUCKING. HUGE. so you'll never have to worry about being out of a job if you are a decent interviewer and maintain a good GPA. Sometimes even those things don't matter.
                        Thank you for a great reply!

Comment

I voted Baylor but any that offer your end major is where I would go.
                          "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Did you check into the combined BS/MD at UTSW? I work for Children's and am associated (read: paid/funded) by UTSW as Children's is the Pediatric teaching hospital for UT. Just something to consider.

If you can't do the combined at UTSW then I vote Baylor...can't even believe I just typed that...based on the fact that they have a Med school and give preference to Baylor Grads.

SMU...even on a full ride, I don't see that being a "good" option for what you are looking to pursue. No med school ties at all. If you were going MBA or JD I would say SMU all day long based on the scholarship offers.

Comment

Doesn't sound like SMU would fit what you want to do, but I loved it there. I went to UNT for a bit, then transferred in to SMU. Unbelievable school and professors.

Comment

Working...
                              X