Picked up a new project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
    Looks really good Russell, were you able to find the deft? If so how did you like it?
    Yessir. It worked pretty well. I just got done sanding the top and giving it another coat. I need to pick up some more fine grit paper and a block. I plan to give the top one more coat, sand, and follow with another couple of coats hopefully the top will come out super smooth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Originally posted by Leah
    Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Do you have a router? If so I would just replace the top with a single board. If you are concerned about that, that is. Cool project though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
        Do you have a router? If so I would just replace the top with a single board. If you are concerned about that, that is. Cool project though.
        No, no router. Since I added another coat of stain on the back portion and cleared it, it doesn't bother me too much

Comment

Sean, how should I take care of the inside? I am thinking clean it with some Murphy oil soap and then follow with tung or linseed oil?

Comment

Looking great man, cant wait to see it done!
            "You don't so much drive it, more like poke it with a sharp stick and channel the fury when you piss it off."

FFL & LTC Instructor
            http://firstresponsefirearms.com/
            Factory Five MK4 Cobra
            Build thread-http://www.dfwmustangs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17889
            http://s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l571/BlitzAttack65/
            www.wix.com/cdurhamwot/blitzattack-mk4-build
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 01yz2nv View Post
              Looking great man, cant wait to see it done!
              Thanks. The grill cloth should be here early next week. I am on vacation next week so this should get finished up!

Comment

Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                Sean, how should I take care of the inside? I am thinking clean it with some Murphy oil soap and then follow with tung or linseed oil?

That should be good, I haven't done a stereo unit like that so I don't know how it will affect the tone or sound quality. As long as it doesn't dry out I wouldn't be concerned.

Comment

my buddy has an old style cabinet record player like yours but bigger and longer! i think we are gonna try doing this! looks like it could be a fun project

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
                    That should be good, I haven't done a stereo unit like that so I don't know how it will affect the tone or sound quality. As long as it doesn't dry out I wouldn't be concerned.
                    I am thinking my best bet for components will be an open baffle set up. So the wood treatment shouldn't have too much affect on SQ.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
                      my buddy has an old style cabinet record player like yours but bigger and longer! i think we are gonna try doing this! looks like it could be a fun project
                      I have enjoyed this quite a bit. There are some extruded plastic looking wheels for the dremel that I picked up. Set it on a low speed and it made things much easier on the contours. For the large flat surfaces I used a handheld black and decker random orbital sander and some 220 or finer paper.

I am in ot for about 60-$75 in materials and haven't started on the electronics. I bought a big can of stain and realized I could have gotten away with a smaller one.

Wood conditioner
                      Stain
                      Clear
                      Brushes
                      Misc sand paper
                      Tack cloth
                      Cheese cloth

Comment

I finally got around to making a frame for the grill cloth. I cut it from 1/8" MDF using the old frame as a guide.

Comment

That's really cool. I wish I had the patience to work on something like that :/
                          Originally posted by Buzzo
                          Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Still a long way to go to get it functional. I need to get with Bernie (mosfet) and see if he can help me locate some connectors

Comment

I thought I would dig this up. I scored an old magnavox phonograph today for $15. Drug it home to find out that it works! Well, the turntable doesn't spin, but it will produce sound when it is turned manually. The cabinet is a little rough. My plan, since the amp works, is to hopefully harvest the internals and adapt them to my restoration. Ditch the turntable and add a 1/8 input for mp3 playback.

Comment

If anyone can help out on changing the input, that would be great!

Comment

Working...
                                X